Skip to main content

Sprint Retrospective

Last post 04:06 am March 5, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
2 replies
09:47 pm March 3, 2020

We are scrum but,

we dont need sprint retrospective,

there is not much to discuss as we are a self-organizing team and We are open to give feedbacks to each other.

I am not sure if anybody has this encounter on their teams; How to couch the groups from assumed scrum to actual scrum practice.

Coaching Vs Policing

10:48 pm March 4, 2020

Scrum's Sprint Retrospective is a specific form of one of the twelve principles behind the Manifesto for Agile Software Development:

At regular intervals, the team reflects on how to become more effective, then tunes and adjusts its behavior accordingly

This isn't a new concept to Scrum and Agile Software Development, either. The concepts of kaizen, hansei, and kaikaku come from Toyota and into various forms of Lean. Quality management systems such as TQM and ISO 9001 also have expectations around continuous improvement.

Simply being open to giving feedback doesn't, in my opinion, align with any form of reflection and improvement. Just because you are open to giving or receiving feedback doesn't mean that you actually practice giving and receiving feedback.

From a coaching perspective, I would want to first understand why the team feels that being open to giving or receiving feedback is equivalent to setting aside a brief period of time to, as an entire group, give and receive that feedback. I believe that if a team is truly open to feedback, then taking an hour or two every couple of weeks to share that feedback and develop a clear and explicit way to respond to that feedback is worthy of an experiment. I believe that trying a more formal retrospective would also be a demonstration that the team is receptive to receiving feedback about their way of working and, choosing to try an experiment and make adjustments would demonste their ability to self-organize.

04:06 am March 5, 2020

there is not much to discuss 

Can the team explain how it achieves empirical process control? What is the evidence for this?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.