Skip to main content

information about scrum

Last post 04:22 pm March 11, 2020 by Curtis Slough
3 replies
10:36 pm March 10, 2020

Is it possible to become a scrum master for non-IT person.

06:49 am March 11, 2020

Yes! YES! ;)

IT is surely NOT a requirement to become a SM.

Even one step further, IT backgrand can even prove to be hindering in some cases.

I have a long IT background and it helps me underatdn the problems the Devs (and organizations) are facing. It sometimes helps me coach them on these. On the other hand, I sometimes have to actively push myself to the background, because I know the answers or solutions to some of the problems, but I want the team to find them out themselves.

As a SM you might need a lot of softskills like coaching en mentoring. So having an background in that area might be more helpful than an it background

03:42 pm March 11, 2020

I once worked with a Director of Human Resources who was a certified Scrum Master and organized multiple Human Resource organizations to use Scrum.  

Scrum is not just for IT or technical purposes.  From the Scrum Guide:

Scrum has been used to develop software, hardware, embedded software, networks of interacting function, autonomous vehicles, schools, government, marketing, managing the operation of organizations and almost everything we use in our daily lives, as individuals and societies.

The essence of Scrum is a small team of people. The individual team is highly flexible and adaptive. These strengths continue operating in single, several, many, and networks of teams that develop, release, operate and sustain the work and work products of thousands of people. They collaborate and interoperate through sophisticated development architectures and target release environments.

When the words "develop" and "development" are used in the Scrum Guide, they refer to complex work, such as those types identified above.

I also agree with @Xander Ladage.  A non-technical background can be useful in technical situations as it allows you to focus on the people, process and team dynamics without the temptaton to get involved in the technical solutions. 

04:22 pm March 11, 2020

It's funny because there are many days where I wonder if I would be more effective were I stronger on the technical (development) side. I have asked my teams several times if they would benefit from a more technical SM and for the most part the response is NO. That's because they don't need another person to potentially and most likely give direction on HOW to do their work. I'm glad I'm not technical because it's easier to let the team decide HOW to do their work because I have no clue how to develop anything. I'm the kind of person that if I am knowledgeable in a certain area, I want to share that with others in hopes of helping. Unfortunately, that can also be received as direction and dictation of what has to be done and followed. Being non-technical allows me to take a backseat and let my teams shine and I focus on clearing the path for them and focus on serving them. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.