Skip to main content

punishment for not achieving daily meeting commitments

Last post 04:37 am March 23, 2020 by Sherwin Soriano
6 replies
03:51 am March 21, 2020

Is it ok to give punishment to the ones that yesterday didn't do what they said they would do in the previous daily meeting? Maybe a punishment similar to the one we give for not getting to the daily meeting on time?

07:00 pm March 21, 2020

Do you think a punitive regime would be a good application of the Scrum Values?

Also, what would it indicate about the quality of teamwork and collaboration throughout the day?

09:36 pm March 21, 2020

@Rodrigo Salguero, I understand what you are trying to convey and you're probably not referring to something harsh but something like singing a song, or the swear jar kinda thing. Whilst, I've not personally enjoyed this tactic in a professional work environment, it may be applicable in some situations.

I echo, the sentiments that @Ian Mitchell expresses. I also feel that by using the word "punishment" it may have a negative impact on the team. Rather than punishing, the focus of the Development Team should be to bring transparency over the matter, Inspect & Adapt, and figure out how to achieve the Sprint Goal given the current circumstances.

12:03 am March 22, 2020

I have never used a punitive regime and never will I use it, though I clearly express it to the teams that I have all the resources and power to do so. It is also important to demonstrate that you will work with them and assist them with sincerity as long as they collaborate.

I have often played this clip of a renowned Rugby referee Nigel Owens during one of the heated games. This happened after a scuffle. It goes like this

"Get everyone here, I mean everyone. There are things that are not accepted in the game. What happened here (referring to the position where the fight started) or what happened afterward (when the fight continued), I did not see it. IT ENDS THERE. Is that clear? 

You are adults and you will be treated like it as long as you behave like it. We are going to go back to the original penalty down there."   

Handling 30 hot-headed rugby players with an average weight of 240 lbs. is simply not a joke. I often refer to his work on the field. Scrum comes from rugby and there are many parallels that can actually help scrum masters.

03:54 am March 22, 2020

thank you all for the great responses.

Now I clearly see that this does not have a directly positive direction.

08:28 am March 22, 2020

punitive measures are always undermining growth. You can see this raising children, but surely also in a work environment. How would punnishment affect Openness, Trust and Respect ?!?!?

I would suggest to take Scrum Values of Transparency, Openness and Trust, and get a good collaberation and discussion going.

"didn't do what they said they would do" is not a problem by itself. Empericism and flexibility in Scrum embraces this this happen. But it might result in problem if people are slacking or not having correct focus.

Talk about it. With the team! Make problems arising transpararent, ask the WHY and HOW questions, and even better, have the team raise the questions. In the end it is not the SM to address or punish, it is the team to collaberate and adjust! Inspect and Adapt you Daily and way of working!

04:37 am March 23, 2020

Ask the team on how they can help each other on this issue. You might get an idea from them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.