Skip to main content

Just passed PSPO I - Is not PSPO II the next step? Job?

Last post 11:32 pm March 23, 2020 by Mark Adams
3 replies
02:21 pm March 23, 2020

Hey SCRUM friends,

So at the age of 20 i passed the PSPO I exam, really happy that i can say that and im proud of myself :)

But as "just need to keep on the run" i would ask you guys if the PSPO II would be the next logical move or to get some work experience?

The problem is i have my own startup company where im the CEO and product manager and if anyone worked at a early startup company it a real rollercoaster but it provides you some important life lessons :) 

So, i dont really have "somebody" to learn from but myself, but i read the "The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage" and got a real understanding and a bigger picture of product management / product ownership. 

Is it enough to study on my own and try the PSPO II or should i go and attend one of the courses (are they worth it, honest opinion) ? 

Also i have a funny question just in my mind and want to let it out... How did you guys manage to get your first PO position? 

Kind regards,

Dino 

06:20 pm March 23, 2020

Congrats Dino, I would suggest studying and earning your PSM1 next. It's hugely beneficial to know about the ins and outs of both PO and SM roles. 

As far as getting some help and learning about the PO role in the real world, I'd normally say to look for local meetups of product owners. Considering the world is pretty much on shut down of large meetups, that may be more challenging. Maybe start looking around on LinkedIn and find some PO's in a similar space or regional location and start networking virtually? 

07:02 pm March 23, 2020

Congrats Dino,

ca you share with us your learning path?

thks

11:32 pm March 23, 2020

For right now, try to focus on getting some experience in the role of an Agile Product Manager. Once you have a few years under your belt, take the two in-person Scrum.org PO classes and then attempt the PSPO II and III.

My first role came through a contracting/IT staffing firm. They are always filling technology roles at companies who don't think that product-related or software development-related roles should be permanent.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.