Skip to main content

HELP: I get confused with correct answer in Open Assessment

Last post 08:41 am April 3, 2020 by Zumrud Huseynova
7 replies
06:10 am March 31, 2020

Hi All,

So there is a question from PSPO open assessment:

Which two statements explain why the definition of "Done" is important to the Product Owner?

And one of the correct answers is: It assures the Increment reviewed at the Sprint review is usable so the Product Owner may choose to release it.

I was confused by it, because as cited in The Scrum Guide: "A -Done- increment is required at the Sprint Review." 

So as I understand the Increment by its definition should be "Done". 

Can someone bring the light on this confusion, please?

Thank you

08:02 pm March 31, 2020

So as I understand the Increment by its definition should be "Done". 

How would that be assured, if the Definition of Done was not observed?

06:06 am April 1, 2020

So as I understand the Increment by its definition should be "Done". 

Yes! And how could a PO know this? Lets assume the Definition of Done incorporates that security tests are succesfully ran, to make sure there is no security risk on the new piece of functionality.

This has to be done by corporate standards, and are therefore part of the Definition of Done.

If this piece of functionality is showed in a demo and the PO want to release it, without the Definition of Done, how would the PO know security tests have given a green light on this? How can the PO know it CAN release it?

The DoD for the PO is there to ensure that basically what is reviewed in in releasable state, even if you can't know or see that on the surface.

06:59 am April 1, 2020

Thank you Xander and Ian for response.

Can we show to the customer "not usable" peace of "Done" Increment in Sprint Review?

01:10 pm April 1, 2020

Here's a tip: Scrum's DNA is the empirical process (three pillars of transparency, inspection and adaptation), and if you can understand this concept it can help you find the right answer in many cases.

Every Scrum event is an opportunity to inspect and adapt (at the very least an artifact). At the Sprint Review the Increment is being inspected with feedback provided, and the Product Backlog is being adapted based on what has been seen and understood.

And in order to inspect something, we need transparency. What would happen if a partially "Done" Increment was being observed? As an example, let's say not all testing had been completed by the Development Team, yet the Product Owner assumed it was and was going to make a decision to release the Increment? Would the Product Owner be in the position to make a wise decision if what was being seen was opaque? Can you see how a definition of "Done" can help everyone get on the same page?

04:58 pm April 1, 2020

Can we show to the customer "not usable" peace of "Done" Increment in Sprint Review?

Not sure what you mean by "not usable", but you can show anything you like as long as it serves its purpose, so as long it elicit feedback and foster collaboration (from the Scrum Guide)

Moreover, you can even show "not Done" features, since it can give insights on where you are going, and stakeholders can give early feedback, even before it becomes Done.

06:28 am April 2, 2020

@Zumrud Huseynova - I posted here on the forum a topic that is related to your question, maybe you will find it useful in that context: https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/35108/nuances-scrum-guide-might-be-missed-first-glance

08:41 am April 3, 2020

All comprehended.

Thank you all, for your answers.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.