Skip to main content

Whats next? After PSM level 1

Last post 08:51 pm April 2, 2020 by Roger Arnold
2 replies
08:37 am April 1, 2020

Hi Guys 

Need some advice. I am a new Scrum master with only a few months experience. I have completed my PSM level 1 and I'm wanting to improve as a scrum master. I have spoken to a few experienced scrum maters and they have all given me different and sometime contradicting advice. Some say get more experience first. Others say learn multiple frameworks. Others say go do your PMP for example or learn more about the other roles.e.g. Learn a coding Language or do a course on how to become a PO.  Which would you recommend? The PMI Agile Certified Practitioner , PSM level 2 or PSPO level one. I'm not sure I have enough direct experience for the PSM level 2 at this current stage.  Any advice would be great. 

Thanks 

05:04 pm April 1, 2020

Experience is key to being of becomming a good SM. Knowledge is important, but experience is key.

My advice would be, if you are comfortable with the basic Scrum knowledge, start as SM with an experienced "mentor" closeby. Even better would be to start off as the right hand of an expereinced SM so you can safely get some experience and insight knowledge, and than, after you feel you gained enough for the next step, ask this question again ;)

06:31 am April 2, 2020

Thank you Xander

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.