Skip to main content

What is the difference between Quality goals and Sprint Goal?

Last post 12:05 pm April 9, 2020 by Sanjeev Nanda
7 replies
05:14 pm April 3, 2020

As per Scrum Guide (in the Scrum Values) section, 

People personally commit to achieving the goals of the Scrum Team.

Does it mean (Sprint Goal + Quality Goals)

During the Sprint:

• No changes are made that would endanger the Sprint Goal;
  • Quality goals do not decrease; 

Sprint Goal: Objective and purpose with a sense of why behind running?

Quality goals: a plan of improvements identified during the Sprint Retrospective.

I would like to understand the difference between Quality goals and the Sprint Goal?

Thanks,

Umar

06:28 pm April 3, 2020

Does it mean (Sprint Goal + Quality Goals)

It means any goals the team members agree among themselves, and are each prepared to commit to, including the Sprint Goal and team quality goals.

I would like to understand the difference between Quality goals and the Sprint Goal?

Quality goals may include the plan of improvements you refer to and which were identified during the Sprint Retrospective.

The Sprint Goal can be anything which causes team members to work together in a coherent fashion during the Sprint time-box, rather than drifting off on separate initiatives.

03:54 pm April 7, 2020

Thanks, Ian it helps one more question to in the same lines to it may, I know the purpose behind Sprint Goal not being artifact?

As per the Scrum Guide (ref: artifacts),

Scrum’s artifacts represent work or value to provide transparency and opportunities for inspection and adaptation

Please enlighten me!

My understanding: The Sprint Goal is not an artifact as it could be inspected and adapted as it should offer an over-arching purpose with stability and flexibility.

09:39 pm April 7, 2020

My advice is to think of an artifact as something which ought to be inspected and adapted on an ongoing basis throughout a Sprint.

10:21 am April 8, 2020

A Sprint goal is a shifting goal post, in my opinion. Quality goal is a steady, set standard. I don't thing Scrum can generate a parameter for a quality goal - nevertheless, a good question to ponder upon.

11:23 am April 8, 2020

Quality Goal can also be understood as the Definition of Done. In the DoD you also define quality standards and the Scrum Guide says:

"During each Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by adapting the definition of “Done” as appropriate."

Quality is enhanced, but never reduced. And DoD is only changed in Retrospectives, never during a Sprint.

08:55 am April 9, 2020

I have to disagree with you Tim. If at the beginning of a Sprint, the Team finds something that should be added to the DoD, why wait for Retrospective ? Embrace the change :)

The Retrospective is a privileged moment to adapt the DoD as you reflect on the practices of the team. But it is not the only moment to my mind.  

12:05 pm April 9, 2020

Having a DoD is not the final goal, but merely a means to achieve it.  Within the parameters of a Retrospective, a team has a moment of reflection - and if the end goal needs tweaked, so be it. Whatever gets you the optimal result.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.