Skip to main content

When is it most appropriate for a Development Team to change the definition of “Done”?

Last post 08:50 am April 6, 2020 by Sanjeev Nanda
4 replies
02:35 pm April 4, 2020

My question is because some people says that the Definition of Done must change during the Sprint Planning, but the scrum guide says:

"During each Sprint Retrospective, the Scrum Team plans ways to increase product quality by improving work processes or adapting the definition of "Done", if appropriate and not in conflict with product or organizational standards."

So I'm agree with the fact that the Definition of Done is defined by The Development Team if the organization don't have one defined, And also believed this must occur in the first Sprint Planning.

I would like to hear what you think about it.

Thanks.

Juan Jose.

03:24 am April 5, 2020

“if the organization don't have one defined, ” ——Definition of Done by Development Team

10:26 am April 5, 2020

Thanks Gongyuan Chen, but my question is When is it most appropriate?, In Which Event:

Sprint Planning

OR

Sprint Retrospective 

04:07 pm April 5, 2020

Who says that the Definition of Done must change during the Sprint Planning? Not only have I never heard this anywhere before, but the section of the Scrum Guide that you quoted makes it clear that the Sprint Retrospective is the opportunity to adapt the Definition of Done used by the team.

The only thing that isn't defined is when the Definition of Done is created with respect to the very first Sprint. Having a Definition of Done is used to estimate Product Backlog Items and help the team ensure that what they plan for a Sprint is achievable and realistic. I would suggest that the Definition of Done would need to be established during or at the first Sprint Planning. If the team is refining a backlog before the Sprint Planning, then I would suggest that it would need to be done before any Product Backlog Items are refined.

08:50 am April 6, 2020

I agree with Thomas here - to define 'completion' status, the periphery must be appropriated as well. Having shifting goal-posts serves no one, not even the devils advocate who does so. Having a clean and succinct path forward is the way to go - if a team is unclear on the end-goal, the conclusion shall remain elusive and stupefying.

~Sanjeev Nanda

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.