Skip to main content

Scrum master: challenges admits lockdown

Last post 04:51 pm April 14, 2020 by Curtis Slough
6 replies
04:23 pm April 11, 2020

Lets help & learn during lockdown period together.

Query1: Most difficult situation faced by sm during the wfh due to lockdown and how did SM shown their Leadership skills in resolving the issues.

Query 2:how  to carry out timeboxed daily standup admist lockdown situation.

08:41 am April 12, 2020

For me, hardest part during lockdown is helping and coaching teammembers coping with psychological problems because of lockdown.

For your second query, how do you make sure it stays withing the timebox without lockdown? For me, it works when instructing the team beforehand that because of drop in effectiveness it should be joined effort to stick to the point and reframe from needless stuff, and point this out as SM when this happens

10:49 am April 12, 2020

Thanks Xander for your points.

For my second query , it most happens there is some reasons why tasks gets delayed and some people take time to explain for which we generally have parking lots, however during wfh situations it's slightly impossible to have that parking lot sessions.

So I ask those to stay on call who needs to talk or discuss their impediments.thats how I handle.

11:25 am April 12, 2020

Query 2:how  to carry out timeboxed daily standup admist lockdown situation.

As a Scrum Master, why not remind the team about why the time-box is important for focus and about the Sprint Goal, then take this question to the Dev Team and let them solve it? The Daily is the Dev Team's meeting, ask them for ideas rather than solve it yourself. They are more likely to have the best solutions and then own them, This is a good opportunity to take the training wheels off around self-organization. Providing solutions as a Scrum Master is not helpful in the long term.

08:31 am April 13, 2020

A growing sense of anxiety is creeping within everyone working from home during this lockdown. Circulating lighthearted messages about awareness is a good way to keep folks (who are stuck on the inside) engaged with the outside, thus abating any anxiety  they might be feeling.

03:09 pm April 14, 2020

Thanks Chris and sanjeev for your inputs.

Really nice to have different prospective for a common problem.

04:51 pm April 14, 2020

Most of my team members were already remote when the lockdown happened so it wasn't that challenging to transition. Our time boxes are the same, sometimes we run over a minute or 2 here and there but that's usually in response to technical issues; not because people keep talking. 

The area where I've put a lot of focus is checking in with my team members more frequently and asking how they were doing. Not work related, how they were doing on a personal level. This lockdown is hard and some people take it harder than others so just having a conversation, 5 or 10 minutes has helped a lot.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.