Skip to main content

Reassigning stories during a sprint when moving from one status top another

Last post 06:04 pm April 20, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
05:17 am April 20, 2020

Hi,

Stay safe Stay Home

Question:

If a story is in progress and then after that swim lanes are code review and QA-ready, then how the assignment of stories should work? Should story remain assigned to the developer and code review and QA tasks should be created as sub-tasks in it or the story should be reassigned when it is moved to code review to the reviewer by the developer and when code review is done it is moved to QA lane by the reviewer and reassigned to QA by the reviewer. To me, it seems anti-pattern to reassign tickets from in-progress to future states. It seems okay to re-assign tickets before it was brought in the sprint but not after.

04:04 pm April 20, 2020

Why do you assign an item to anyone at all?  Isn't the entire team responsible for doing the work regardless of what "swim lanes" you may have on your board? 

When the Development Team creates their Sprint Backlog the entire team is forecasting that they can complete that work.  So the entire team should do the work.  Sure, an individual may do specific tasks associated to it but the story defines a problem that the team is going to solve. Based on your question is shows that multiple people will be working together to solve the problem defined in the story. So why do you need to assign a story to any single individual at any time in it's process through your workflow? 

"Then how will we know who is working on a specific item?".  That is a great question and thank you for asking.  The answer is that in the Daily Scrum, the Development Team will discuss what work is in progress. At that point everyone should be able to identify who is working on a specific item at a specific stage of your team's workflow. 

I'm going to share my favorite principle from the Manifesto for Agile Software Development.  It is listed 10th. 

Simplicity--the art of maximizing the amount of work not done--is essential.

If there is confusion on how to assign the story, then go with simplicity and don't do it. 

05:54 pm April 20, 2020

To me, it seems anti-pattern to reassign tickets from in-progress to future states. It seems okay to re-assign tickets before it was brought in the sprint but not after.

So you're saying that its not okay to re-assign tickets after sprint planning? I'd respectfully disagree. The team needs the ability to self-organize. Setting the expectation that tickets shouldn't be re-assigned is hindering that. I'd also agree with Daniel and say that assigning the stories at all is hindering the team from self-organization. 

We leave the story as unassigned but the team members will assign tasks to themselves, this helps the team by knowing what each person is working on in addition to the Daily Scrum. It works for our team, it may not work for another team. 

The problem with assigning the story itself is typically the rest of the team stops putting any focus at all on that because John has it assigned to him, therefore John OWNS that story from start to finish. This is definitely not a good pattern. 

My suggestion to my teams and others is to leave the story unassigned because that is the responsibility of the team to get across the finish line as a group. If the team wants, assign the task/sub-task levels to individuals but that should ONLY be assigned when they actually take that piece of the work. Until then, it should be up for grabs by anyone. 

06:04 pm April 20, 2020

how the assignment of stories should work?

Might it be better if each team member goes to where the work is, as soon as they have capacity to help, instead of expecting work to come to them?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.