Skip to main content

Sprint planning - Start of Sprint?

Last post 08:05 am April 27, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:31 am April 24, 2020

Hi fellow Scrumsters 

Im new to the game so trying to get my head around some of the ceremonies / planning. 

Sprint planning is documented to be part of the Sprint and is supposed to happen at the start.

• How do I start a Sprint with nothing planned in at the beginning? Using JIRA I cannot click the start button on an empty Sprint. I can see it being part of the previous sprint but as a last ceremony before starting the next one. Is this correct?

• When building out a Sprint the tasks need estimating. Is this done during the planning phase? Sometimes this may take a while where I have been adding tasks as a Spike. Is this correct?

04:06 pm April 24, 2020

David - To get started with your first Sprint, once you have a Scrum Team, they will need a Definition of "Done" and enough "ready" Product Backlog for the first Sprint. A vision statement from the Product Owner would also be beneficial. The best advice I can give is to get started ASAP.

How do I start a Sprint with nothing planned in at the beginning? Using JIRA I cannot click the start button on an empty Sprint. I can see it being part of the previous sprint but as a last ceremony before starting the next one. Is this correct?

Regarding Sprint Planning and Jira, once the Scrum Team has crafted a Sprint Goal, the Dev Team has to move the Product Backlog items into the Sprint. Once they have decided on their capacity and what can get done, then in Jira the Sprint can be started, but you cannot start it without at least 1 PBI.

When building out a Sprint the tasks need estimating. Is this done during the planning phase? Sometimes this may take a while where I have been adding tasks as a Spike. Is this correct?

Tasking is optional in Scrum. And if your Dev Team decides to break PBIs down into tasks, estimating the tasks is also optional. Honestly most Dev Teams no longer estimate tasks, as it can be considered a huge waste. In Scrum only the PBI requires an estimate.

Spikes are also optional in Scrum. Typically a Spike is more for Backlog Refinement work (i.e. for research) , and rather than an estimate the Spike is given a time-box. Spikes can become waterfall-ish if you use them often. Again my advice is to just get started, and try to limit Spikes. Were enough is understood about a PBI, this research could be part of the PBI rather than a Spike.

07:12 pm April 24, 2020

How do I start a Sprint with nothing planned in at the beginning? Using JIRA I cannot click the start button on an empty Sprint. I can see it being part of the previous sprint but as a last ceremony before starting the next one. Is this correct?

My advice is to separate the details of the tool from the method used.

I use Jira at work as well. For us, the act of clicking "Start Sprint" in Jira is the last action of the Sprint Planning. I understand why Jira does this - it takes a snapshot of the state of the work in the Sprint so it can track things that were added and removed. Without this, the start of the nice charts and graphs and data tables that come out of Jira may look weird at the start of every Sprint if the team is adding and removing items, trying to figure out what works. Likewise, in Jira, we close the Sprint at the very start of Sprint Retrospective.

The way we use Jira doesn't mean that the Retrospective and the Planning are between Sprints. We've just signaled to the tool where we are in the Sprint process. We are ending one and planning the next and need to have some time to organize the work before we start tracking the data to help us understand and visualize our work.

When building out a Sprint the tasks need estimating. Is this done during the planning phase? Sometimes this may take a while where I have been adding tasks as a Spike. Is this correct?

It depends.

Tasking is not a requirement of Scrum. Some teams may not do that. Some teams may break down Product Backlog Items into tasks as part of refinement. Others may do so during Sprint Planning. You need to figure out what works well for you - the Retrospective is a great opportunity to talk about what is working and what isn't working.

A Spike, to me, is a well-defined objective for Refinement. They are really the same thing.

08:05 am April 27, 2020
  • How do I start a Sprint with nothing planned in at the beginning?

You don't. It's happened anyway, regardless of what happens in Jira. The ongoing challenge with electronic tools is how to fake the truth close enough to be useful. In your situation, it might be least clunky to first populate a Sprint with an agreed action item from the Sprint Retrospective.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.