Skip to main content

Resetting Sprint Goal

Last post 05:50 pm May 24, 2020 by Simon Mayer
8 replies
02:49 pm April 27, 2020

Hello,

In our project we use sprint goal. I have 3 questions :

1. Should we reset Goal number of every sprint to 1 ? or its good to increase the goal number to keep track of original goal if the JIRAs in a particular goal are not complete ?

2. If we have one unfinished goal from last sprint, should we make it a high priority goal in next Sprint ?

3. Should we prioritize goals in JIRA ?

08:24 pm April 27, 2020

Bidhu, you say you are working with multiple Sprint Goals.

I am curious why you believe establishing Sprint Goals into the future promotes agility?

05:38 am April 28, 2020

In our project we use sprint goal

Are you sure that's what you're doing? The Scrum Guide describes a Sprint Goal as a coherence.

05:39 pm April 28, 2020

I have never seen a Sprint Goal that would be reset to 1.  Can you provide an example of these?  I'm saying this because it seems like your definition of Sprint Goal is not the same as that provided by the Scrum Guide. From the section that describes Sprint Planning

During Sprint Planning the Scrum Team also crafts a Sprint Goal. The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the Product Backlog, and it provides guidance to the Development Team on why it is building the Increment.

I'm not saying that you are incorrect in your definition but I can't visualize a goal where you would "reset Goal number of every sprint to 1". 

12:56 pm May 15, 2020

For our project we have Goals. Example : In sprint 1 we have Goal 1 -  Payments processing, Goal 2 - Policy processing etc. Now lets say we have 5 JIRAs each for each of these goals and we completed 9 of them. 1 JIRA is left from Payments processing which will move to Sprint 2. In Sprint 2, we have Endorsement processing. So we are assigning Goal 1 for Endorsement processing and Goal 2 for Payments processing in Sprint 2. 

My point is should we do like this or we should not change the Sprint goal numbers ? Thoughts ?

07:39 am May 18, 2020

My point is should we do like this or we should not change the Sprint goal numbers ? Thoughts ?

Were these 2 Project goals included in your Sprint Goal ? If yes, then whats your thought on the outcome Sprint ?

Are you using these numbers for priotizing your backlog ? 

02:14 pm May 18, 2020

From your explanation I understand that you are creating multiple Sprint Goals for a single Sprint. To me, it seems like this would hinder the team because it is splitting their focus.  I have found that the usefulness of a single Sprint Goal allows the Development Team to focus their efforts on a single target.  Splitting their attention is in essence the same as having too much work in progress. In your case, it seems that the team focused more on the Policy Processing Goal than on the Payments Processing Goal.  Why did they make that decision?  Why would they put themselves into a position where they had to make that decision?

Another issue that having more than one goal encourages is that the team is not working as a single group.  They are working as 2 subteams. I would expect to hear them start to complain about having to attend Daily Scrum and listen to things that do not concern them since half the team is talking about the other goal. Or worse, split the Daily Scrum into two Scrums where each is focused on a single Sprint Goal.  

If I were Scrum Master for this team, I would be using this situation to discuss whether their current practice is causing problems instead of how to decide what to do with each Sprint Goal. 

08:30 am May 23, 2020

There is only one goal every Sprint. Multiple goals in a Sprint create lack of focus. Watch this youtube video to give you insights on how to create a good Sprint Goal.

05:50 pm May 24, 2020

What is the expected outcome from investing a single sprint in completing those Jira items?

If the work is sufficiently complex, it might be useful to consider the higher goal. Rather than payment processing and policy processing, perhaps these initiatives all contribute to a single more important achievement, such as "customers are able to do ..."

If you want a more outcome- focused Sprint Goal, and are able to release early enough in the sprint, you might even have something based on how customers or users interact with what is built; like "x% of customers use ... to do ..."

In trying to achieve this, you might reveal other problems you need to solve; for example maybe the Sprint Backlog isn't focused enough

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.