Skip to main content

Scrum Project Inception - My First Complex Project

Last post 03:03 pm May 13, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
07:05 pm May 2, 2020

Hey Everyone! I hope you are all safe and healthy during these times. 

My organization (300 people) hasn't fully adopted scrum, but we are keen on giving it a shot and have seen pockets of success. I come from a waterfall project background and could use some advice from the community. 

Detail:

• We are to planning to build a developer portal for onboarding external developers.  
  • I'd like to deliver this in 3 product increments with inspection and validation between each increment. 
    • The base site with content
    • Interactive documentation
    • Advanced logged in user experience once
  • I've written a light PRD / user stories and have formed a PBI that is well-groomed for each increment
  • We've developed a highly functional prototype (that some but not all stakeholders have seen)
  • We have a target release in mind and some dedicated resources

I need some help working towards my first sprint:

1. We are going to onboard (if approved) an external web platform and contract a web developer. The platform has to go through management approval and security review, how do I account for this in scrum to ensure buy-in and ensure there are no impediments
  2. The unofficial project team structure is below, what's the best way to operate if the team isn't entirely cross-functional?
    • 2 Dev - In Core Team
    • 1 Product Owner / Quasi Scrum Master - In Core Team
    • 1 Product Designer - In Core Team
    • 1 QA - In Core Team
    • 1 Content Writer - In Core Team
    • 1 Product Marketer - Outside Core Team but Internal
    • 1 Web Developer - External
    • 4-5 Senior Stakeholders
  3. Are project kick-offs meetings a part of scrum? In scaled agile, I know there is the concept of PI planning
  4. Any general advice or playbook for kicking off my first official sprint? 

10:41 am May 4, 2020

What you're describing doesn't seem very Scrum-like to me.

You say that you've already scoped out 3 increments. However, this goes against the Scrum, and underlying Agile, values and principles. It doesn't allow for changing environments and circumstances. Preplanning that amount of work doesn't lend itself well to inspection and adaption, with regards to schedule (when the work will be done) or scope (what work is truly necessary).

There's also not much evidence of the team involvement. You mention that you've written user stories and created a Product Backlog for each increment. Where was the involvement of the team? Does the team have an understanding of the work? Have they identified dependencies? Has their input been used to order the work? The team taking ownership of the work and how to effectively get it done is a key element.

For handling reviews and approvals in Scrum, there are a few different approaches. The one I've had most success with is moving it outside of the Scrum process. The Sprint Review is a good opportunity for initial approvals of the product and its status. The Product Owner can choose to release the product to downstream activities - validation, testing, security analysis, etc.

For things like kick-offs, there's not much in Scrum. Scrum assumes things like a created team, the existence of a Product Backlog, etc. If your organization sees value in having an event that ends in the team and a basic backlog and calling that a "kick-off", I don't see why that would be a problem. Different organizations do have a different idea of what kick-offs entail.

02:15 am May 5, 2020

Thomas - Thanks for the response. I agree that it doesn't sound scrum like, which is why I'm hoping to take a step back and get some help. 

To clarify, the team has been involved in forming the backlog including identifying dependencies. The problem is that there are substantial dependencies outside of my team's control in terms of resourcing and technology procurement.  

Follow Up Questions:

• Are there best practices for handling dependencies on external resources or technology? 
  • Any general advice for approaching pre-planning for large projects?

03:03 pm May 13, 2020
  • Are there best practices for handling dependencies on external resources or technology? 

In Scrum, what do you think is the best way to make dependencies visible?

• Any general advice for approaching pre-planning for large projects?

How short can you make pre-planning, so empirical process control begins as soon as possible?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.