Skip to main content

Using DevOps for Scrum

Last post 04:24 pm May 11, 2020 by Daniel Wilhite
2 replies
09:17 pm May 10, 2020

Found this forum to be a useful resource so far and was wondering if anyone used DevOps for Scrum, and how successful it is?

I've set up a couple of projects in DevOps, put in the user stories and the tasks that are the next level down.  I can't seem to fathom what I need to do for the testing at a board level though - it looks like you can only move stories into UAT or QAT, but the tasks don't appear to have this option which makes sense because you want to be able to test that, for example, a form submits rather than testing every little thing that makes up that story.

If 3 out of 5 tasks are complete and it can be tested (the remaining 2 tasks are due to be picked up at a later sprint) then does the story move over to testing, and those associated tasks completed if everything goes according to plan, then the rest of the story goes into the next sprint (starting at the beginning again) and the remaining tasks are completed?

I'm assuming so (unless the user stories have been entered completely wrong) but was hoping someone with a bit more DevOps experience could advise or point me in the right direction.

06:37 am May 11, 2020

If 3 out of 5 tasks are complete and it can be tested (the remaining 2 tasks are due to be picked up at a later sprint) then does the story move over to testing

When will this story be Done according to the Definition of Done?

What is the policy for stories being Done in one sprint, and not spilling over into the next?

How can transparency and quality of the increment be best served in this scenario?

04:24 pm May 11, 2020

As @Xander Ladage mentioned the answer to the questions are found in the Definition of Done and agile certain values. 

... it looks like you can only move stories into UAT or QAT, but the tasks don't appear to have this option...

It appears that your questions are related to the tool and how your organization has set it up. Scrum has nothing in the framework that dictates anything like this.  Scrum doesn't dictate any phases that an item must go through or any requirements on testing nor does it dictate any tool that must be used.  How your organization decides to do the work is entirely up to you.  The Scrum framework says nothing about how you work. It provides some events, principles, roles and artifacts that when used together will help an organization be productive and consistent in delivering value to stakeholders. You would need to discuss these limitations with who ever administers the tools you are using.

The closest answer you will get from a Scrum perspective is that Scrum only cares about the item that describes the value being delivered to stakeholders.  To help with that you go to your Definition of Done to identify how to declare that the item is done. Subtasks are typically an item that is used to help individuals know the steps that are needed and as such define work. Again, Scrum doesn't prescribe anything about how you do your work, only things that help you to ensure that the work being done is targeted towards delivering value to the stakeholders. 

My suggestion is that you talk to the people in your organization.  Talk to others that are doing the same work that you are and come up with something that helps your organization know how to work.  There is no "industry standard" that any of us can give you.  Not exactly the answer you were hoping for but it is the best I can provide.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.