What is Agile Release Management

Last post 09:57 pm May 20, 2020
by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
Author

Our organization is moving into a complete Agile mode with the Scrum frame work. We have a release management process for what we do currently. I was wondering what will it be different when we go into full agile. From what i understand.

We will have the same processes in place ?

Release management is not part of the Scrum frame work ?

More frequent releases ?

Focus on More automation and Dev Oops and less manual work.

Will need to be capable to support CI\CD model ?

Is there anything different of specific to change in Release process with Scrum ?

Any additional practices with Scrum for releases, apart from the standard practices for release management ?

Please advice and provide information, that will help me in documenting any changes for Agile release management that i am working on building out.

Thanks in advance for all your input and suggestions.

03:41 pm May 20, 2020

Scrum doesn't prescribe any specific release management process or methodology, however, if the team is creating a release quality product increment each Sprint then the ability to deploy this work quickly and accurately may become increasingly more desirable. 

I would expect that doing Scrum will help make challenges and inefficiencies within your current release process more transparent. If part of your organizational strategy is to move more towards a CI/CD model anyway then starting that earlier may be advantageous. 

Bear in mind any potential change fatigue the teams may face if they attempt to focus on too many of these things at one time. 

05:11 pm May 20, 2020

Dev oops, funny typo ;)

Scrum does not describe or prescribe anything about release management. you are free to choose whatever fits the team and organization needs.
The one thing Scrum is all about is empiricism and getting valuable feedback (data) as early and often as possible, but at least at the end of each sprint.
Since releasing some increment is en ideal way of collecting market / end-user feedback, Scrum tells you to organize release management in a way you can do this as early and often as you can. Principles, tools, mindsets that support this are therefore a perfect addition to Scrum, but that said, is a world on its own.

When you dice into this, please understand what concepts like CI/CD, DevOps etc mean and entail. A lot of time they are misused. As an example; make sure you know why DevOps and CI/CD cover completely different areas of the Development process and mindset, but can be combined.

09:57 pm May 20, 2020

Our organization is moving into a complete Agile mode with the Scrum frame work. We have a release management process for what we do currently. I was wondering what will it be different when we go into full agile.

Is there a vision for "complete" and "full" agile change in your organization? Who is sponsoring it, and -- bearing in mind the questions you have -- how is it being communicated and coached?