Skip to main content

What is Agile Release Management

Last post 07:11 pm March 14, 2022 by Ian Mitchell
7 replies
03:14 pm May 20, 2020

Our organization is moving into a complete Agile mode with the Scrum frame work. We have a release management process for what we do currently. I was wondering what will it be different when we go into full agile. From what i understand.

We will have the same processes in place ?

Release management is not part of the Scrum frame work ?

More frequent releases ?

Focus on More automation and Dev Oops and less manual work.

Will need to be capable to support CI\CD model ?

Is there anything different of specific to change in Release process with Scrum ?

Any additional practices with Scrum for releases, apart from the standard practices for release management ?

Please advice and provide information, that will help me in documenting any changes for Agile release management that i am working on building out.

Thanks in advance for all your input and suggestions.

03:41 pm May 20, 2020

Scrum doesn't prescribe any specific release management process or methodology, however, if the team is creating a release quality product increment each Sprint then the ability to deploy this work quickly and accurately may become increasingly more desirable. 

I would expect that doing Scrum will help make challenges and inefficiencies within your current release process more transparent. If part of your organizational strategy is to move more towards a CI/CD model anyway then starting that earlier may be advantageous. 

Bear in mind any potential change fatigue the teams may face if they attempt to focus on too many of these things at one time. 

05:11 pm May 20, 2020

Dev oops, funny typo ;)

Scrum does not describe or prescribe anything about release management. you are free to choose whatever fits the team and organization needs.

The one thing Scrum is all about is empiricism and getting valuable feedback (data) as early and often as possible, but at least at the end of each sprint.

Since releasing some increment is en ideal way of collecting market / end-user feedback, Scrum tells you to organize release management in a way you can do this as early and often as you can. Principles, tools, mindsets that support this are therefore a perfect addition to Scrum, but that said, is a world on its own.

When you dice into this, please understand what concepts like CI/CD, DevOps etc mean and entail. A lot of time they are misused. As an example; make sure you know why DevOps and CI/CD cover completely different areas of the Development process and mindset, but can be combined.

09:57 pm May 20, 2020

Our organization is moving into a complete Agile mode with the Scrum frame work. We have a release management process for what we do currently. I was wondering what will it be different when we go into full agile.

Is there a vision for "complete" and "full" agile change in your organization? Who is sponsoring it, and -- bearing in mind the questions you have -- how is it being communicated and coached?

09:28 am March 12, 2022

Hey there, So I have an additional question here, can someone guide me what is the role of scrum master specifically in release management?

I mean is it correct approach when scrum master is sitting alone against the jira board and choosing the tickets which he/she thinks is right candidates for the release?

I mean I dont think scrum master has the right technical knowledge and competence to do this right? correct me if im wrong and also can you suggest what can be done here?

My idea in this case is to move forward the team spirit and do this together as a team, sit down and discuss these kind of tickets together with scrum team members and PO as well, whats your idea?

06:09 pm March 14, 2022

I mean I dont think scrum master has the right technical knowledge and competence to do this right?

This all depends on the Scrum Master.  I have known many that have the technical knowledge to this.  But that doesn't mean they should. 

No where in the Scrum Guide does it say anything about the Scrum Master being a Release Manager or anything close to it.  For that matter, nothing specific is said about release management in the Scrum Guide.  So that process is outside the scope of the Scrum Framework and can be anything the organization wants it to be.  However, I would still suggest that this be something done by the Developers and Product Owner.  The Developers know when the code is ready to be released and the Product Owner will know when it is the right time to release something to stakeholders. 

06:57 pm March 14, 2022

Yes exactly,  that is why I decided to do this as a team, if they want SM to be involved in the release at least we will do it as a team :)

Thanks for your reply though, it was very helpful 

07:11 pm March 14, 2022

can someone guide me what is the role of scrum master specifically in release management?

Make sure that the team, stakeholders and wider organization understand that each Sprint presents an opportunity to release Done increments of work, and thereby establish empirical process control.

The Developers are accountable for the quality of each release. The value delivered can then be optimized by a Product Owner.

Is each release integrated and Done? As a Scrum Master you manage people's understanding of the Scrum framework, and you do so by revealing issues such as this, rather than by resolving them yourself.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.