Skip to main content

Nexus Guide 2018 - Nexus Integration Team

Last post 12:14 am May 22, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
3 replies
09:33 am May 21, 2020

In Nexus Guide 2018, page 3, it's been said that "Nexus Integration Team consists of the Product Owner, a Scrum Master, AND Nexus Integration Team Members". This is not clear to me who are the "Nexus Integration Team Members" in this sentence.  How X is consist of A plus B plus some of X, when X is still unknown. This sentence might need to be revised. My reasoning is 

- There is only one "Product Owner" for a Nexus and all Scrum Teams since there is one product backlog(page 6). 

- The "Scrum Master" role in Nexus may be a Scrum Master in one or more Scrum teams (page 6).

- "Nexus team members"  are "professionals who are skilled in the use of tools, various practices, and the general field of systems engineering" while "If their primary responsibility is satisfied, Nexus Integration Team Members may also work as Development Team members in one or more Scrum Teams". Hence, Nexus team members may refer to "Nexus Developers Team" who may also work in Scrum Development Team.

Therefore, it might be better to say "Nexus Integration Team consists of the Product Owner, a Scrum Master, AND Nexus Development Team".

I appreciate your comments in advance. Please share your thought. 

03:10 pm May 21, 2020

Therefore, it might be better to say "Nexus Integration Team consists of the Product Owner, a Scrum Master, AND Nexus Development Team".

Do you think that an integration team ought to perform development activities as a matter of course, rather than by exception?

What would this say about the ability of Scrum Development Teams to own and improve their development work?

07:56 pm May 21, 2020

Thank you Ian for your comment. In my knowledge and according to Nexus Guide, the integration team is not involved in development activities. The Scrum Development teams are sole responsible to create the increment; "They are self-organizing. No one (not even the Scrum Master) tells the Development Team how to turn Product Backlog into Increments of potentially releasable functionality"

The point I mentioned is that the Nexus guide says: 

"Nexus Integration Team consists of the Product Owner, a Scrum Master, AND Nexus Integration Team Members".

Who are the "Nexus Integration Team Members" ? This sentence is to clarify who are in "Nexus Integration Team", while it includes the "Nexus Integration Team Members" in its justification. This doesn't make sense for me. I think if there was another name for them, it could convey the subject better. I appreciate if you could explain your point of view about this.

According to definition of  Nexus roles, "Nexus Integration Team Members" have some characteristic of developers  "professionals who are skilled in the use of tools, various practices, and the general field of systems engineering"  and meantime they can be part of Scrum development team "Nexus Integration Team Members may also work as Development Team members in one or more Scrum Teams".  Therefore, I concluded that the role of "Nexus Integration Team Members" might literally refer to Nexus Development Team, with no decisive development activity. 

12:14 am May 22, 2020

I'd suggest that a Nexus Integration Team ought to consist of whoever is best positioned to assure that each product increment is integrated satisfactorily in a timely manner. We should assume that each Scrum Team in the Nexus is competent to provide and integrate the deliverables involved, and that the integration team will only perform work of this nature by exception. As such, the membership of that team may or may not be drawn from Development Teams within the Nexus. For example, a Nexus Integration Team might include people who have rare coaching skills, unique insights concerning enterprise architecture, compliance, or standards, or the authority to resolve certain organizational impediments to integration.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.