Skip to main content

Sprint Goal - Query

Last post 01:47 pm June 3, 2020 by Hariharan Krishnamurthy
4 replies
11:58 pm May 31, 2020

First line of Page 11 Scrum Guide says, "The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the Product Backlog" - 

But I think it should be, "The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the "Sprint" Backlog (and not the Product backlog) .. 

Is there something wrong in my thinking ? Sprint Goal is the objective that will be met by implementing the items in the sprint backlog - which is derived from the product backlog .. isnt it ?

09:28 pm June 1, 2020

While you try to analyze the Scrum Guide to the one sentence, remember also about the whole picture. Here you have a few other quotes that may help you with clarifying your doubts:

The Product Backlog is an ordered list of everything that is known to be needed in the product. It is the single source of requirements for any changes to be made to the product.

and:

The Sprint Backlog is the set of Product Backlog items selected for the Sprint, plus a plan for delivering the product Increment and realizing the Sprint Goal.

In the entire part about Sprint Planning, you find sentences that link to the above statements. Also, consider this sentence from the Daily Scrum description:

The Development Team or team members often meet immediately after the Daily Scrum for detailed discussions, or to adapt, or replan, the rest of the Sprint’s work.

We could sum this like this:

The Sprint Backlog is barely a reflection of our understanding of what we forecast as needed from the Product Backlog at the time when the Sprint Planning happened, in order to achieve the Sprint Goal. The Sprint Goal, on the other hand, gives us a purpose, a context, and a meaning for running the Sprint. Therefore, we achieve our Sprint Goal by implementing things from Product Backlog.

Also, the Scrum Guide loosely refers to Sprint Backlog as a plan, and as is stated in Agile Manifesto:

Responding to change over following a plan

When you will think about it further, during the Sprint, while we strive to achieve the Sprint Goal, we could uncover other things that were unknown prior to Sprint Planning, and as we may assess them as needed in the product, they become a part of Product Backlog, that we could implement in order to achieve this Sprint Goal. Of course, in life, this often does not take such order of actions, but regardless if it is shortcutted because of used tools, of organization context, this distinction is still there.

Hope this helps you a little ;)

10:23 pm June 1, 2020

In addition to Piotr's answer, I'd also add that the Sprint Backlog "includes at least one high priority process improvement identified in the previous Retrospective meeting". In my experiences, the Sprint Goal relates to the work being done to improve the product and not the team's processes.

I do think that there may be an opportunity to improve the sentence that you quoted from the Scrum Guide, however:

The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint timebox through the implementation of the Product Backlog Items selected for the Sprint.

06:03 pm June 2, 2020

But I think it should be, "The Sprint Goal is an objective that will be met within the Sprint through the implementation of the "Sprint" Backlog (and not the Product backlog) .. 

From your reading of the Sprint Planning section in the Scrum Guide, in what context is the Sprint Goal formulated?

Is it:

"Topic One: What can be done this Sprint?"

Or:

"Topic Two: how will the chosen work get done?"

This might explain why reference is made to the Product Backlog rather than the Sprint Backlog.

11:19 pm June 2, 2020

Thanks @Piotr Górajek for the detailed explanation - it does make sense !

Thanks @Thomas Owens ... I like the improvement you suggested !

Thanks @Ian Mitchell It does make sense ! :) 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.