Skip to main content

A Developer who has never worked in an Agile Setting

Last post 01:03 am June 3, 2020 by Mark Adams
3 replies
10:13 am June 2, 2020

As a Product Owner how can I get a developer who has never worked in an Agile/Scrum environment up to speed on being an Agile Developer. How should I go about getting them to adopt agile principles?

Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

04:59 pm June 2, 2020

Have you talked to your Scrum Master about this since part of their responsibility is to help further the understanding of Scrum?  

How about asking the rest of the Development Team to help with this since they are already immersed in the practice?

06:41 pm June 2, 2020

As a Product Owner how can I get a developer who has never worked in an Agile/Scrum environment up to speed on being an Agile Developer. How should I go about getting them to adopt agile principles?

You can't. In agile practice you can't "get" other people to do anything. What you can do is to take this issue to the team, and ask how they will support and accommodate their new fellow member when creating "Done" work. They may have ideas on how you could help.

You, for your part, should expect a short-term drop in productivity, and reassure the team that you understand the impact of membership change. Remember that the best way to encourage the adoption of agile principles is to embody them.

01:03 am June 3, 2020

Where is your Scrum Master? It is their "responsibility" to coach, train and mentor the Development Team member on business agility. One way you can help is to encourage the engineer's manager to send him to an external Agile or Scrum course that is focused on developers. There are a few of these run by the large Agile training and certification bodies, including Scrum.org.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.