Skip to main content

Carrer Advice

Last post 05:33 pm June 12, 2020 by Carlos Rafael Antunes de Azevedo
4 replies
09:27 pm June 10, 2020

Hello everyone, 

I would like to hear from this rich community if you as a Scrum Master has already received a management position offer, where you will not be in the Scrum Team, but act on helping different Scrum Teams on a wider level.

I ask this because some of you may have faced this situation, and I would like to know what you considered when making this decision.

As I am aware a project management position would provide different challenges, I am trying to list Pros and Cons of accepting  new challenge, while I really love Scrum and transofmring teams through agility.

01:50 am June 11, 2020

That's interesting. In many companies, project managers convert to Scrum Masters. However, in your example, it sounds like you will be moving up the ladder, which is great. You can bring business agility with you in any rung of the ladder so this is really a decision about where you want to be. I would never turn down more money and a better title.

03:19 pm June 11, 2020

So wait, are you asking about an offer to basically be a scrum master manager where you manage a group of scrum masters? Or are you asking a project manager position?

04:29 pm June 11, 2020

I would like to hear from this rich community if you as a Scrum Master has already received a management position offer, where you will not be in the Scrum Team, but act on helping different Scrum Teams on a wider level.

How do you know you will be allowed to do this job? There will be organizational gravity to overcome. This includes dependencies and constraints that impede Scrum Teams and stop them from achieving "Done". Many such impediments are cultural and they can even masquerade within an organization as "common sense".

A worst-case scenario, which I have seen, is that you are being set up as the fall-guy for a wider agile transformational failure. It's an old ploy by executives who know that organizational gravity will prove inescapable, and who wish to limit their exposure. My advice is that you ought to satisfy yourself that this promotion is not a short-hand for the offloading of risk.

05:33 pm June 12, 2020

Hello @Mark, thanks for your input, it would be indeed offer more money.

Hello @Curtis, actually there are two open positions, one is to be a project manager, with clear roles and responsibilities, overseeing one or more Scrum Teams, and the other would be as an agile Coach, this last one still doesn't exist in the company (it will be created soon), so there are no roles and responsibilities defined, I still don't know how much power and freedom this second position would have to suggest changes in the process and help to apply agility to the environment.

Talking about hierarchy, both roles would be "higher" than the Scrum Master position (would provide a better income, but I am removing the financial variable from this equation for now).

@Ian, you gave a great insight. I still don't know what would be the degree of freedom to suggest changes in the ongoing process.

I wonder how the PSTs from Scrum.org work, if they are still Scrum Masters in the companies where they work, or they work as a consultant helping teams.

I have invested several years studying and applying Scrum and acquired some certs like the PSK, SPS, PSD and PSM-III. I believe one of my questions is if by taking this step of faith, I wouldn't be restarting my journey.

This is why I would like to hear from you what do you think about this situation.

Thank you again for all your collaboration.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.