Skip to main content

Using Scrum for CRM Implementations

Last post 04:05 pm June 11, 2020 by Ian Mitchell
1 reply
03:16 pm June 11, 2020

Hi all,

I was wanting to get some community input into their experiences working on CRM related programs or initiatives. I have had experience using Scrum for the following during my career:

1. With development teams to build customised features/ functionality on open source platfroms (i.e. Comptel 8, Moodle LMS)

2. Ground-up development of new software/ products using Scrum (i.e. mobile apps, desktop applications)

I am thinking back to one of my very first projects which was a CRM implementation where Waterfall was used. There was no actual software development undertaken, but we had technical staff doing significant field/ function/ feature configurations to ensure the CRM was fully aligned to the business's needs. Has anyone here used Scrum in it's purest sense with a similar type of CRM implementation? If so, how did it go? I am also interested in asking this question as I have seen quite a few job ads in the past where they are asking for various types of project resources to support 'large-scale' or 'complex' CRM projects and as a part of the recruitment criteria is for applicants to have Agile experience and/or certifications.

Can Scrum effectively be used when the software has already been built and it's just a matter of configuring fields/ functions/ features for business use by technical resources (but there is no need for any coding or software development whatsoever)? Do you really need a PO and a SM for such an initiative? It just seems overkill using Scrum where requirements are largely predefined and the solution chosen is pretty much a 'turn-key' type product.

I might be completely wrong here so looking for community input!

04:05 pm June 11, 2020

It just seems overkill using Scrum where requirements are largely predefined and the solution chosen is pretty much a 'turn-key' type product.

The Scrum Guide says:

"Scrum is a framework for developing, delivering, and sustaining complex products"

Is the product you are describing a complex one?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.