Skip to main content

How to calculate Velocity?

Last post 10:33 am July 4, 2020 by Xander Ladage
7 replies
09:09 am July 3, 2020

I have 3 different Boards in jira for a single Project, Do I need to calculate the velocity for each board? or I can combine all the board items and then calculate the velocity ?

09:12 am July 3, 2020

Just to add to above question, Team members are same, who are working on all these 3 boards. 

11:14 am July 3, 2020

First of all, why 3 boards?

Second, what "velocity" is requested? What is (in your organization) perceived as velocity? Where do you need this metric for?

11:56 am July 3, 2020

@Xander, thank you for the reply.

1 - Each board is related to each Release

2- I need this data to define the Capacity during Sprint Planning meeting. I calculate it a an Avg of last 3 sprints.

12:08 pm July 3, 2020

Why not encourage each team to calculate their velocity in terms of how much work they do between each product release?

05:05 pm July 3, 2020

I am not understanding your configuration in JIRA. So you have 1 project, that I would assume 1 backlog and then 3 different boards? 1 board for each release? 

I would have had 3 backlogs (by creating 3 fake none started sprints, then putting different user stories on each release backlog by adding some release tag on them).  then I would plan a unique sprint where I would pick up different user stories from the different backlogs/releases and the plan would be based on the average velocity of the team. In this way, you will have a unique board for the sprint with items from different releases in the same board. After all the board is to give full visibility to all team members on what is happening.. all in a unique place. 

05:16 pm July 3, 2020

Another idea is to use a unique board and unique backlog but in the board you use quick filters based in a release tag. 

In your case you have 3 boards.

The velocity should be calculated on the sum of user story points done for all boards.. or all releases. That is the capacity of done items the team can accomplish per sprint. Then using that velocity you can plan how many user story points your team can commit per sprint and distribute those points among the releases or boards.. 

10:33 am July 4, 2020

1 - Each board is related to each Release

You know there is an Release management part of Jira which would enable you to distinguish between releases without having multiple boards, right?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.