Skip to main content

Course recommendation: agile programs with external stakeholders

Last post 12:38 am July 30, 2020 by Mark Adams
1 reply
09:52 pm July 29, 2020

I have a friend who works on social change programs in a co-ordination role, and asked me to recommend a course on agile working. I believe in her context there are generally multiple (external) stakeholders, and priorities can (and do) shift very quickly. She doesn't have a lot of experience working in agile organizations, and she obtained a PRINCE2 qualification in the past.

It sounds like within her current organization, there is a desire to work in an agile way, but maintain structure and be able to report to management. Unfortunately I don't have more specific details than that. As I understand it, she's looking for a way to grow professionally that would also benefit her employer.

I wondered whether the PAL-E course would be a good starting point; but I think that course is generally aimed at management and executives, so I'd be interested to hear the thoughts of others; particularly those who have experience of agility in non-profit organizations, or have taken the PAL-E course.

12:38 am July 30, 2020

I know somebody who's in a coordination role that skirts the boundaries between product and program and between waterfall and agile. That person already had a three level-one Scrum Master certs from three of the major Agile certification bodies so the next one that person took was the CAPM from PMI. It's 100% online and does not have the barriers (audits!) of the other PMI certs. Plus, PMI is still considered a prestigious organization so it's not bad to add that to your resume.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.