Skip to main content

Top Tips for Remote Scrum You Wish You’d Known at the Start of the Pandemic?

Last post 12:18 pm September 27, 2020 by Gongyuan Chen
2 replies
10:13 am September 24, 2020

Yesterday while watching a YouTube video,  I learned that in Zoom you can allow participants to put “stamps” such as a heart or star on the screen.  It’s a fun visual way to, for example, remotely do what’s sometimes called “dot voting,” where after a Post It brainstorming session folks can tag the top x ideas/features/etc they like the best by putting a dot on the idea’s Post It note.  It made me realize I need to spend a bit more time proactively improving how I work remotely as a SM (vs from what I learn from Retrospectives or from my mistakes).

So, what are some tricks or tips you’ve learned in the last six months of working remotely as a Scrum Master that you wish you’d known at the start of the pandemic?  Or if you were already a remote SM pro, what tips do you think all SMs should know if they want to improve their ability to do Scrum fully remotely?  For these tips, assume the SM is already pretty skilled at face-to-face Scrum.  I’m especially interested in techniques for helping Scrum teams become more self organizing.

11:15 am September 24, 2020

What  I learned?

There are a lot of helpful whiteboard tools like Miro f.e.. I was sceptical about working and hosting meetings remote in the beginning, but some in some meetings, sessions or classes a whiteboard without boarders has actually a lot of advantages. They give you almost the flexibility of a classical board. 

To highlight one example, event storming sessions turned out to be much better remote than offline. (They need a lot of space at the walls.) 

12:18 pm September 27, 2020

I prefer face to face

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.