Skip to main content

New team doesn't think they need help

Last post 04:11 pm September 30, 2020 by David Braun
4 replies
09:39 pm September 28, 2020

I have a new team. 

They are not using any process but believe they are working in an Agile environment.

Without a Backlog they have 10s of items which are all non-functional e.g. refactoring work, updating libraries etc.

They are picking up and creating items adhoc.

PO is not pushing any direction.

How do I get the PO to create a Backlog that is of value to the user?

How do I get the devs to deliver features per sprint?

10:04 pm September 28, 2020

How do I get the PO to create a Backlog that is of value to the user?

Who is currently holding the PO accountable for maximizing product value?

How do I get the devs to deliver features per sprint?

Start with what it means for work of any sort to be "Done" and finished. Are the team satisfying a Definition of Done that is of immediate release quality?

10:24 pm September 28, 2020

No one is holding the PO accountable, who should?

I'll have to look at the PBIs marked Done, I'd bet it's not at DoD, the excuse will be that these are only parts of the larger solution and not demoable until the entire functionality is complete.

Features are too large and the end value to user is unclear

09:34 am September 29, 2020

The way of working sounds like a lean try of kanban. And for the work they are currently doing wouldn't kanban fit, until they work on functionality?

I suppose your role is the SM?

Why not try to use Kanban as long as they are working on non-functional and guide them to a set of processes and a DoD, not only to go Kanban, but also preparing them for Scrum. In the meantime work with the PO and as soon as the PBL emerges with functional work, switch to Scrum with a bit of Kanban influence.

11:08 pm September 29, 2020

I suggest to focus on the causes behind the symptoms you mentioned.

A team focussing on non-functional items might either face a huge technical debt or a lack of phantasy on which features to include into the product.

A PO that doesn't give any guidance either might have resignated (maybe, because a large technical dept significally hinders feature development) or he really doesn't know by himself, which feature to provide next.

For both cases I suggest to support the PO to either craft (if not yet existant) or question (if already existant) the product vision.

This might help in both aspects: Identifying and prioritizing new features as well as to identify the most critical technical debt.

Has the current PO overseen the development of the product "from scratch" or has he "inherited" something he now has to find his own way coping with?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.