Skip to main content

Client Collaboration and Feedback

Last post 08:25 pm October 5, 2020 by Simon Mayer
5 replies
09:02 am October 4, 2020

Hi everybody!

I am currently working on a project right now where we work closely with our clients (they’re part of all our events other than Sprint Retrospective) to the point of them controlling our Sprint activities and our overall process (requesting for mid Sprint Reviews, deciding scopes per Sprint which should be PO’s work, doing user story acceptance/rejection before an item is tagged as done).

I agree that shorter feedback loop is very important in software development, but is our set-up with our clients good and sustainable? I know that customer collaboration is more important than contract negotiation but I am a bit conflicted and honestly my gut tells me that there is something wrong here. What do you guys think?

09:33 am October 4, 2020

What does the PO think about this situation, and how effectively would you say product ownership is being represented?

09:52 am October 4, 2020

What does the Scrumguide say about collaboration with stakeholders? And, a interesting question, what is the difference between  PO and  stakeholders?

12:49 pm October 5, 2020

I have no problem with "stakeholders doing user story acceptance/rejection before an item is tagged as done". Feedback loops and stakeholder collaboration that tight is something many teams spend a lifetime working towards. Many don't even get close.

However, the Scrum Team should strive to stay self-organizing and focused, and help the stakeholders understand the thin line to walk between collaboration and, uhm... "meddling", I guess.

06:19 pm October 5, 2020

stakeholders doing user story acceptance/rejection before an item is tagged as done

Why is the development team not able to test if the item is done?

Feedback loops and stakeholder collaboration that tight is something many teams spend a lifetime working towards.

100% agree, except checking if something is done!

08:25 pm October 5, 2020

we work closely with our clients (they’re part of all our events other than Sprint Retrospective) to the point of them controlling our Sprint activities and our overall process

Do the Scrum Team members see this as collaboration? Put another way, do they consider themselves a self organizing team?

And to respond from a different angle… are the clients behaving as though they are members of the Scrum Team? If so, what would be gained and lost by formalizing this, and have them participate in the Scrum events as team members (including the Sprint Retrospective)?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.