Skip to main content

Should the Sprint be closed right after the Retrospective

Last post 04:52 pm July 7, 2021 by Rashmi Baberwal
6 replies
07:13 pm October 22, 2020

Hi All,

Is it a good practice to close the Sprint immediately after the Sprint Retrospective?  As a practicing Scrum Master, this is something that I'm still not sure of.  Thank you for the response in advance.

09:01 pm October 22, 2020

Doesn't the Sprint "close" when the allotted time-box for it ends?

10:22 pm October 22, 2020

In Scrum, there's no concept of "closing a Sprint". However, some tools (for example, Jira) do use this terminology. In this case, I prefer to close the Sprint prior to the Sprint Retrospective (and even the Sprint Review) so that the data and metrics are available for the team to review and use to help with any discussion.

11:55 pm October 22, 2020

When I read this, I also felt you were probably referring to the Jira terminology. The problem with tools is that they often either inadvertently or deliberately misrepresent Scrum to fit their existing product, or provide what the creators believe is a better or more marketable user/customer experience.

The teams I work with "close" the sprint during Sprint Planning. This is so that if work takes place in the time between Scrum events (the Sprint Review ends at 17:00, and the Sprint Retrospective starts at 09:30 the next day), the board remains visible, and such work can be made transparent.

The metrics that the teams use are unaffected by this decision, so doing it at that moment doesn't cause any negative side-effects.

03:53 am October 23, 2020

If what you meant by "close the Sprint" is the same as end the Sprint, then yes.

You should think about Ian's question: "Doesn't the Sprint "close" when the allotted time-box for it ends?" 

The Scrum guide says: "Other than the Sprint itself, which is a container for all other events, each event in Scrum is a formal opportunity to inspect and adapt something."

"A Sprint Review is held at the end of the Sprint to inspect the Increment and adapt the Product Backlog if needed."

"The Sprint Retrospective occurs after the Sprint Review and prior to the next Sprint Planning."

If you are using JIRA, I think you should close it after the Sprint Retrospective because JIRA logs the elapsed time so if you leave it "open" over the weekend, and close it on Monday at 9:00 AM, it will log the end time of that Sprint as Monday 9:00 AM.

Hope this helps.

04:36 pm November 2, 2020
Is it a good practice to close the Sprint immediately after the Sprint Retrospective?  As a practicing Scrum Master, this is something that I'm still not sure of.  Thank you for the response in advance.

The Sprint is time boxed. It automatically end when the time box end.

This questions is related to a tool (Example: Jira, etc.). If this is the case, yes we need close the sprint on D10 (assume the sprint length is 2 weeks and the last day of the sprint is working day) after the sprint retrospective.

Thanks.

03:07 am November 4, 2020

If you are using a software say JIRA, yes you need to close it . But theoretically speaking it is a time boxed event and gets closed with the timebox without saying.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.