Skip to main content

It's correct the "warranty period in Scrum?

Last post 10:47 am November 6, 2020 by David Garcia Sanmarti
4 replies
11:46 am November 4, 2020

I'm confused about this question, after passed my PSM1 I'd clear that warranty period is over because you have a DoD that determines the minimum level that your code has to pass and PO validates this uses for the potential deliver.

if a bug is detected in PROD, I think that it's a issue has to be resolved by scrum team in the framework of continuous performing of the product, not thinking in a "warrany period" as waterfall methodology because de DoD ensures that the story is ready and without errors for production.

I would emphatize this section about Scrum Guide:

The Product Backlog lists all features, functions, requirements, enhancements, and fixes that constitute the changes to be made to the product in future releases

It's correct this?

Thanks

08:00 pm November 4, 2020

The Scrum Guide says:

The Product Backlog evolves as the product and the environment in which it will be used evolves. The Product Backlog is dynamic; it constantly changes to identify what the product needs to be appropriate, competitive, and useful. If a product exists, its Product Backlog also exists.

Given that a Product Backlog will exist for the lifetime of the product, and that the product will continue to be inspected and adapted, what purpose does the "warranty" you refer to actually serve? What are its terms? How does the "warranty" enhance the ongoing delivery of valuable and "Done" product increments?

09:51 am November 5, 2020

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your quickly response. In fact, I want to clarify (or be sure) if the "warranty period" as known in waterfall ( a period that ensure that your long time development doesn't crash in production) has sense in scrum.

You are right in your quote about Scrum Guide, I think that warranty period known in waterfall methodologies is perfectly substituted by DoD, ceremonies that ensure our increment are deliverable and continuous inspecting and adaptating of our product. 

Responding "How does the "warranty" enhance the ongoing delivery of valuable and "Done" product increments?" the key is not about ongoing delivery, it's about our product in production. How can our client be ensured that in production in a short-term period this issue still working?, I think that it can be possible if we have a agreed DoD, the ceremonies that ensure that ( inspecting and validate from our PO) and even this a crashcode occurs in pro, we have to create a bug in PB to be fixed as priority PO estimes.

06:57 pm November 5, 2020

the key is not about ongoing delivery, it's about our product in production

Don't you have ongoing delivery into production, each and every Sprint? If not, why not?

How can our client be ensured that in production in a short-term period this issue still working?

It is not within a team's gift to offer certainty. A competent Scrum Team collaborates with stakeholders so the inherent uncertainty of a complex domain is well managed. As you have indicated, a good team will take care to assure clients that each product increment is Done.

10:47 am November 6, 2020

Hi again Ian,

I strongly agree with your way of understanding to what extent the team can commit that the software developed is Done, we must work together to detect errors or changes in development to add greater value to the product.

Thanks for your knowledge.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.