Skip to main content

Revised best order for scrum.org tests

Last post 03:42 pm November 22, 2020 by Thomas Owens
1 reply
02:41 pm November 22, 2020

Previously Andres Gomez in this post:

https://www.scrum.org/resources/blog/best-order-get-all-scrumorg-certif…

Gave the order of test taking as: 

PSM-I > PSPO-I > PSD > SPS PSM-II > PAL-I > PSK-I > PSPO-II > PSM-III

With the introduction of an intermediate PSPO level and PSPO-II becoming PSPO-III, is there a new best order?

03:42 pm November 22, 2020

I don't think there is a "best order".

Overall, I'd recommend starting with PSM I. Although "Scrum Master" is in the name, it's more of an examination of the rules of Scrum rather than anything specific to the Scrum Master role. Anyone working in an organization using Scrum would do well to understand the material that is part of this exam.

After that, it becomes more role-based.

For Scrum Masters, I'd recommend the PSM II and PSPO I next, probably in that order. The PSM II goes deeper into the Scrum Master role. Product management and the Product Owner role are pivotal to setting the team up for success, so having a deeper understanding of that role would make sense. The SPS would be useful if you're scaling to multiple teams on one product backlog, PSK is useful if you're interested in applying techniques from Kanban. PSU would be useful if you have user experience design incorporated into the Scrum Team, but I've been less than impressed with some of the recommended material for exam preparation. PAL is useful for coaching at the executive levels. PSP, PAL, PSK, and PSU can be taken in any order.

For Product Owners, I'd recommend the PSPO I and PSPO II next to gain depth on the role of the Product Owner and product management in the context of Scrum. PSU may be a good follow-up, but the same caveats apply - I've looked at some of the recommended reading associated with it and it's centered on a few ways of organizing that may not be the best for all organizations.

For Developers, I wouldn't recommend any of the other exams. The PSD exists, but I'd rather invest time and effort learning the tools and technologies used by the development teams. Plus, the PSD only covers the software domain. If you're outside of software, its value is limited.

Understanding concepts and gaining experiences are also more important than taking training courses and exams. Training and exams should be used if they add value. I'd also consider who is paying for the exam - the student or the student's employer - as a factor in deciding if and when to take one. I'd also look at other sources for learning (whether that's reading or training and exams). For example, the SPS centers on Nexus, but Scrum, Inc. offers material and training on Scrum@Scale and there is LeSS material as well - knowing these other frameworks for scaling Scrum can be beneficial to organizations.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.