Skip to main content

Just Passed PSM-I... Should I Immediately take CSM?

Last post 10:48 am December 8, 2020 by Ryan Brook
7 replies
09:05 pm November 23, 2020

Good afternoon. 

I took the PSM-I exam just yesterday and scored a 95%.  I studied, very, very hard for this test.  I thought it was quite difficult.  I'm wondering, since I have all the information in my head, if I should quickly take the CSM exam without studying any more.  I know I have to sit through the class, but am wondering if I am well prepped for the CSM having just took the PSM?  Thank you!

06:08 pm November 24, 2020

Why not try PSM II?

08:59 pm November 24, 2020

Great question, I would really would love to take the PSM II and I likely will.  I work in the Federal Government space and for some reason CSM seems to be the most recognized. I find that interesting (odd) because all my research shows PSM is much more stringent of a test as for as your Scrum knowledge is concerned.

12:01 pm November 29, 2020

Have you taken a CSM course? As far as I am aware, you must take a CSM course in order to challenge the CSM exam.

Having completed both CSM and PSM, I can share that I switched my study focus to Scrum.org as I find Scrum.org standards to be higher and the associated learning richer.

With Scrum.org you can take training or you can opt to train yourself through self-study and experience. You can challenge a number of Scrum.org exams for the cost of one CSM course.

CSM requires the payment of fees every few years. Rightly or wrongly, I do maintain my CSM fees as many companies do still look for this cert, but I gain no other value from this (not sure how long I will continue this).

If you want to take your Scrum Master knowledge to the next level, PSM II will support that. I have loved the journey and the learning through the Professional Scrum paths. So much so that I am focusing on PSM III now.

04:37 pm November 30, 2020

Disclaimer: These are my opinion, only my opinion and these do not reflect those of scrum.org. 

I completely agree with everything that @Ryan Kent said.  

I passed the CSM.  All you need to do is pay for the course.  The test is really just a formality since the passing score is really low and you have an unlimited amount of time to take it.  Plus the course will teach you exactly what you need to pass their test.  It isn't a good indicator of whether you know Scrum's nuances at all. It seems to me that they are more concerned about getting their fees than anything else. 

I would suggest that you forgo the CSM and take the PSM II, possibly the PSPO I as well. You can get both of those for less than it would cost to take the CSM course.  

12:56 pm December 1, 2020

You've had some great responses here already @Jennifer.

As a trainer that teaches both PSM and CSM, and has taken both assessments, I would say that the CSM assessment is easier.

So, in answer to your question, "am wondering if I am well prepped for the CSM having just took the PSM?" my answer is 'Yes'

But as Ian, Ryan and Daniel have pointed out, there's a very rich education and assessment path here at Scrum.org. It's where I started my Scrum education and is my spiritual Scrum home. It's definitely worth the investment of your time.

01:00 am December 2, 2020

One among many places which describe the CSM Vs PSM Path.

One of them is: 

https://www.knowledgehut.com/blog/agile/csm-or-psm-which-certificate-is-more-valuable

In summary,

In a comparison to Scrum Alliance, remember the following few key practical points when you consider one or the other certification:

# Scrum.org certifications have no expiration date.

# Scrum.org certifications can be obtained by taking an online test. Physically attending a classroom course is not required.

# Scrum.org offers “open assessments” which are interesting for anyone to validate your Scrum knowledge, regardless of if you intend to get certified or not.

Thanks.

10:48 am December 8, 2020

My opinion would be to consider what your drivers are and what you would get value from. Are you driven by meeting recruitment specifications when you see 'CSM'? Or are you driven by deepening your knowledge? Hopefully that doesn't come across as too sarcastic (I really don't mean it that way) - it genuinely depends on what you want. In my experience, the 'CSM' requirement is definitely starting to shift towards 'PSM/CSM desired'....but I'm based in the UK, so I can't comment on the US market.

I'd certainly suggest the PSM II option though. I'd hope that depth of knowledge would stand out more than simply a certification badge, but I may be wrong.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.