Skip to main content

Feeling useless as a PO

Last post 06:41 pm December 17, 2020 by Katherine James
3 replies
03:00 pm December 16, 2020

Hello everyone

I am a new PO, having transitioned from a startup environment where I did everything and had a lot of responsibility.

In my current team, there is a someone who defines business goals and manages the users, someone who does all the user research, and someone who does the management of the whole team.

I don't feel like the "CEO of the product". I feel like a monkey who has to take business objectives from one person, and user objectives from another, and do nothing more but write up tickets and move the backlog (i don't even prioritize, as that is done by aforementioned people).

Feels like I could be replaced by a chair and nothing would change.

Is this normal? Is this what the role is? I may have misunderstood the role when accepting the job, as I have never been a PO before.

Thanks everyone

08:07 pm December 16, 2020

Are you able to fulfil the Product Ownership responsibilities which others appear to be doing? If so, do you believe you should fulfil them, bearing in mind that you -- as PO -- are ultimately accountable for maximizing product value?

03:52 am December 17, 2020

Do you work for a large organization now? Do they follow a popular scaled agile system? If so, your experience is common. In many large organizations the Product Owner is seen as more of an assistant Product Manager while the Product Manager makes the key decisions. You may also have UI UX who may do some of the product design work, and other people helping with product management. Working in a startup or a small, empowered team can be rewarding but Product Owners are not seen as CEOs of products in many large companies.

09:07 am December 17, 2020

Dear Mark,

Yes you are right. I am in a larger organization, but in the interview I was told I would be both a PO and a PM. I was a PM before and it is really what I thought I was doing. 

Any advice on how to handle the situation? My motivation and inspiration are at 0, and it has only been a few months..

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.