Skip to main content

First Week as a Scrum Master

Last post 11:39 pm December 25, 2020 by Mark Adams
6 replies
10:41 am December 23, 2020

Hello All,

my name is Mike. I am joining a new organisation as a Scrum Master in January. What should be my plan in the first week so that I get a great start with the team and to bring myself up to speed?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You.

Mike.

11:24 am December 23, 2020

This depends on a lot of factors. Can you add some additional context? How many teams will you be working with? How long have these teams been together? How long have they been using Scrum (or, more generally, agile methods)?

I'd also start to think about your plan in terms of Sprints rather than weeks, especially if you will be working with existing teams who have been using Scrum for a while already. I've found it is easier to synchronize with a team if everyone's milestones are aligned.

12:20 pm December 23, 2020

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your comments. I am not aware of how many teams but I was told that the team is struggling with Scrum adoption and needs a Scrum Master who can straighten and strengthen scrum ceremonies. 

I am sure the information is not enough but as a new Scrum Master in a new organisation, is there a best approach that one can follow that is affective? 

Regards,

Vagesh

03:57 pm December 23, 2020

I was told that the team is struggling with Scrum adoption and needs a Scrum Master who can straighten and strengthen scrum ceremonies. 

There's something for you right there. Do they implement the actual inspect-and-adapt events the Scrum Guide describes, or are they performing "ceremonies" of some kind?

09:41 pm December 24, 2020

Hi Mike,

you asked for a plan to bring yourself up to speed within the first week. Maybe Stefan Wolpers collections of "Questions New Scrum Masters Should Ask Their Teams" and "Questions from New Scrum Master to Product Owner" can provide you with a few ideas.

Cheers,

Andreas

04:00 am December 25, 2020

[1] Understanding the organization

[2] Understanding the project, domain, having a discussion with Product Owner and having what is the project vision, goals (Short Term and Long Term goals)

[3] Discussing with development team and understand their pain points

[4] Do a check on what is the scrum knowledge off the each development team member [May be having 1 to 1 discussion (formal or in-formal)

[5] Understanding what is followed as per scrum and what is not

[6] Going through the backlog in high level and check the previous sprints (if any) and understand the quality to identify the gaps

etc.

Thanks.

11:39 pm December 25, 2020

Does the organization expect you to be the developers "manager" and direct their work?

Are they expecting you to be a "tool admin" who will ensure that all work in captured in a tool so that management can track performance?

Are they expecting you to be a Project Manager?

Have you attended any workshops or certification classes to understand the ins and out of Product, Agile, Scrum, and other practices?

A true Scrum Master is expected to be a facilitator, trainer, mentor and sometimes a coach. Most Scrum Masters I've worked with didn't have the experience, training or credentials to be a coach (NOT "Agile Coach") so if you can work on all of these, you should be able to help the team.

Meet with everybody one-on-one on video. Insist that people turn their video on while remote. Unfortunately, the vast majority of people have chosen not to be on video while they're on company time and in meetings.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.