Skip to main content

Certification preparation "Which of the following is not part of the Sprint?"

Last post 09:40 pm January 11, 2021 by Mike Kober
3 replies
06:19 pm January 10, 2021

Hey there, so I've seen some discussions around questions in the web within this forum and I think that it's quite a good place to clarify this one.

So the question which is bothering me is: "Which of the following is not part of the Sprint?"

A. The product is released to customers after each Sprint

-- Possibly I don't get it. But being "part of something" to me, doesn't meet this. This sentence may be right, but doesn't have to. To me anyways it's not part of the Sprint but inverting the overall question it theoretically should be.

B. The principal goal for a Sprint is to produce release-quality increments in functionality.

-- Right. There we go. It's true, it's part of the sprint, cannot be the answer here.

C. Releases usually incorporate the result of multiple Sprints.

-- To my reference, this should be the correct answer. For me this is an offtopic sentence, which is often true in practice. Additionally it's not part of the Sprint but as offtopic as A.

D. Occur at times dictated by customer and business needs

-- So what, Releases or Sprints? Sure regarding the sense it must be releases. But regarding the question it must be Sprints? Cannot be true. No matter how, it is also not part of the Sprint. To me: offtopic as well.

Possibly I'm just completely misunderstanding something. But if I'm facing such questions during the certification test I can definitely not understand them. I hope someone here can give me a hint in which direction "i have to think", but I just hope it's an obsolete or invalid question which doesn't make sense anyways ;) and won't be part of any pool of questions.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to your feedback.

References: 

- I bought a questions and answers books at Amazon: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08929F8SS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin… for additional certification preparation

-- Validates the answer in the linked book above https://quizlet.com/334530685/scrum-quiz-flash-cards/

- To make it more complicated i've also found something telling that (A) is the answer there: https://www.freecram.com/question/GAQM.CSM-001.v2018-03-11.q109/which-o…

-- and there: https://vceguide.com/which-of-the-following-is-not-part-of-the-sprint/

10:39 pm January 10, 2021

Since none are contained events, there is no reason to believe any of the supplied answers are "part of the Sprint".

04:38 pm January 11, 2021

I agree with @Ian Mitchell. None of the above is correct.  Every answer listed is You list a lot of resources but none of them are the actual Scrum Guide (https://scrumguides.org/).  The Scrum Guide is the only truly definitive source for the Scrum Framework.  What does it say about your question and answers? 

Even the one you claim is right (option B) is never mentioned anywhere in the Scrum Guide.  The 2017 version mentioned a potentially releasable increment but that was removed in the 2020 version.  The 2020 version has this about the increment

Increment

An Increment is a concrete stepping stone toward the Product Goal. Each Increment is additive to all prior Increments and thoroughly verified, ensuring that all Increments work together. In order to provide value, the Increment must be usable.

Multiple Increments may be created within a Sprint. The sum of the Increments is presented at the Sprint Review thus supporting empiricism. However, an Increment may be delivered to stakeholders prior to the end of the Sprint. The Sprint Review should never be considered a gate to releasing value.

Work cannot be considered part of an Increment unless it meets the Definition of Done.

It also mentions "increment of value" multiple times but there is nothing ever said in the last 2 versions of the Scrum Guide about producing "release-quality increments in functionality". 

Take time to read the actual Scrum Guide.  And then take the preparatory quizzes from the place where you want to acquire your certification and not from other "prep" sites. 

08:02 pm January 11, 2021

Hey there,

dear Daniel, dear Ian, thanks a lot for giving me some feedback to my question. It makes me feel much more calm now.

Regarding "release-quality increments in functionality", I completely agree Daniel. Just with "some interpretation" at least it made sense to me to meet the idea of a "potentially releasable increment".

I will definitely read the 2020 version of the Scrum Guide, thanks for quoting it. I feel a little bit "unhappy" ;) that some "good old known" wordings seem to be replaced. But I always appreciate change :) So looking forward to read it.

I've also read: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07D5ZPJBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin…

I've just though regarding 80 questions in 60 minutes some additional preparation cannot be wrong.

Thanks again! All the best for 2021.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.