Skip to main content

How to evaluate suspicious tasks?

Last post 03:56 pm January 28, 2021 by Piotr Górajek
6 replies
06:41 am January 27, 2021

While refinement we can have suspicious tasks, behind the task there can be a deep struggle, but we don't know for sure, so the question is should we take into account this suspicious?

07:37 pm January 27, 2021

Can you give an example of what you consider to be a "suspicious task" and how the team came about determining that this task is something that needed to be done?

07:38 pm January 27, 2021

Why not conduct an investigatory spike during Product Backlog refinement?

07:49 pm January 27, 2021

Isn't Product Backlog refinement "Refinement" when we evaluate tasks?

07:56 pm January 27, 2021

Isn't Product Backlog refinement "Refinement" when we evaluate tasks?

For instance, I a few times struggled with communicating with the third-party system, and when we are getting task one more request to a different point of the system, I have suspicious that again we will have trouble, and the task is just about retrieving number. If I didn't have such trouble with the third-party system I would evaluate 1, but because of suspicion, I evaluate with 3 points.

10:21 am January 28, 2021

Can you eliminate the suspicion altogether? A spike to investigate might be a good technique.

Sometimes running a survivable experiment is the appropriate way. This could range from phoning the customer to ask what they want, how they will use what you intend to build, and learning what they do/don't need.

Sometimes it needs more extensive investigation, such as running an A-B experiment, or building prototypes.

It might be that the only suitable way to learn is to get on, build and release something. In which case, perhaps you would break the task down to the smallest use case that allows validated learning to take place.

Once the work becomes small, the amount of time that is risked becomes smaller, and that should make it easier to accept if it's not a worthwhile investment for now, and move on to something else

03:56 pm January 28, 2021

If you estimate, just take any doubts you may have as a factor that increases the complexity, how you will deal with this later depends on your context and joint team decision, as it boils down to:

• You (as a team) feel comfortable with forecasting particular PBI within Sprint timebox, or
  • You feel uncomfortable with it, which may indicate that more Refinement is needed - which may be i.e a Spike.

Regardless of what number you produce by your estimation technique, it will never be true - it is only a concept that should lead to a better understanding of PBI in hand. In the end, it may resolve in real life that your doubts were unnecessary and everything goes so smooth that you "finish 2 days earlier". It may be also the opposite and the work needed will only grow and grow down the rabbit hole.

Your "friend" is the Daily Scrum, at least once per day you stop to Inspect and Adapt your work and joint effort towards the Sprint Goal. When a "small PBI" becomes too big during the Sprint, what will you do?

During the Refinement, in my opinion, you should often ask if in discussed PBI is something that you can do better (using your best judgment):

• Can you split it even further so that it still makes sense?
  • Are there any doubts and questions that you should tackle before considering this PBI in the next Sprint? (This is actually a Refinement activity - as much as needed to consider something ready for next Sprint, as little as possible to limit the risk of waste)
  • Do you feel confident enough that this PBI is doable within the Sprint timebox?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.