Skip to main content

Attendees or participants? Contradiction in Scrum Guide / Sprint Planning?

Last post 06:15 pm February 11, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
08:22 am February 11, 2021

hi Community,

I am learning for the PSM1 exam and trying to understand the nice distictions that seem to be so important.

I learned: attendees are passive, participants are active in a meeting.

Now, in "Sprint Planning", the Scrum Guide says "The PO ensures that attendees are prepared to discuss...".

Obviously, the distinction between attendees and participants is not as clear in the Guide as it is said to be in the exam?

Or did I get it wrong?

thanks in advance

04:11 pm February 11, 2021

I learned: attendees are passive, participants are active in a meeting.

Where did you learn this? I'm a native speaker of English, and although I'd interpret being a participant as being active, I wouldn't assume that an attendee is inactive.

For instance, I have attended conferences, and participated in group discussions.

05:18 pm February 11, 2021

I would agree with Simon that attendees are not always passive. If a person is an active attendee then they are participating. I could attend Sprint Planning and either participate or not.

As a Scrum Master or Product Owner, they may attend the Daily Scrum but not be one of the participants. Only Developers are participants.

06:13 pm February 11, 2021

thanks a lot.

I suppose that I was mislead by some of the free learning exams that I tried. They suggested this clear distinction between attend and participate.

I just tried and did not find that in scrum.org. Neither in the Scrum Guide (which triggered my question) nor in the Scrum Open exam that I repeated today. Indeed, it is good to know that I should not expect this kind of hairsplitting in the real PSM exam :-)

06:15 pm February 11, 2021

Obviously, the distinction between attendees and participants is not as clear in the Guide as it is said to be in the exam?

The best advice I can give is to think in terms of the commitments which are important in Scrum. In other words, an attendee might also be a participant if they are fully committed to the matter at hand and equally share accountability for outcomes.

There's that old joke about the chicken asking the pig to help start a restaurant called "Ham & Eggs".  The pig thinks for a moment and declines, pointing out that he would indeed be committed, while the chicken would merely be involved.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.