Skip to main content

Feature success measuring

Last post 12:30 pm February 19, 2021 by Chris Belknap
4 replies
11:37 am February 18, 2021

Dear community, 

I need your piece of advice. I am a Junior SM and I don't know what I can do in this situation.

In our company we have distributed teams and because of the time difference we cannot have Sprint Reviews together with our stakeholders. PO does a demo for them  without developers and then he gathers a feedback and summarize it for the developers. 

Our QA manager proposed to CTO and VP of technologies the plan of feature success measuring for better understanding of value of the features and she thinks that it can give teams the clarity that they lack from being not connected with stakeholders directly but it's still on hold as VP has his own vision of it he still not implementing it. 

My questions are: 

1. Any suggestions what we can do to connect stakeholders with developers (the time difference is huge and unfortunately it's very inconvenient for both parties)?

2. How do you, in your company, measure the feature success, maybe you can share your experience with that? 

I am already grateful for any thoughts! 

07:29 pm February 18, 2021

If your Sprint Review is essentially a demo, it makes little difference whether team members are there; in truth you do not have a Sprint Review at all.

A Sprint Review is a formal opportunity for the team to have a collaborative working session, including any invited stakeholders, to understand work that has been Done and not Done. If stakeholders are not in a position to attend then their interests ought to be represented by the Product Owner.

It sounds as though your PO is doing something to gather stakeholder feedback, but it is not a Sprint Review. From what you describe, the Sprint Review is missing.

08:12 pm February 18, 2021

Part of the SM & PSPO learning paths both cover evidence based measurement which should help you with your feature success analysis. 

07:55 am February 19, 2021

I meant to say evidence based management (Forum technical debt due to not being able to edit posts). 

12:30 pm February 19, 2021

How do you, in your company, measure the feature success, maybe you can share your experience with that? 

A good place to start, as suggested, is to leverage Evidence-Based (EBM):

Perhaps you can start wmeasuing how often the feature is being used. Some studies suggest less than 50% of feature built are rarely or never used. Customer feedback can also be a useful measure.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.