Skip to main content

Hand over from scrum master

Last post 05:42 pm March 13, 2021 by Simon Mayer
5 replies
07:04 pm March 3, 2021

Hi!

Im starting my first assignment as scrum master in 2 weeks.

What key questions should I ask the current scrum master during our hand-over?

All the best! 

//Jenny 

09:21 pm March 4, 2021

Where is executive sponsorship for agile change coming from, and what can you do to secure me access to key influencers before you go?

07:32 am March 5, 2021

The Age of Product site has a list of questions for many situations that should be helpful to you. 

05:41 pm March 5, 2021

Is this team effective? 

That is all I would ask. Then I would let the team know that they should continue to work as if the Scrum Master has gone on an extended vacation that spans 2 of their Sprints while you observe how they work.  At the end of your "extended vacation" start to interact with them as they need help.  In a successful Scrum Team, the Scrum Master shouldn't be required to do a lot of work.  The team should be able to handle self-organization and produce value.  You aren't there to manage their work.  You are there to help them be better at the work they do.  So find out what you can do to help them by seeing what they struggle with when their current Scrum Master is not available.  Don't try to be their previous Scrum Master.  Be their current Scrum Master and do what they need.  

09:28 am March 8, 2021

Thanks guys! 

05:42 pm March 13, 2021

I would always advise Scrum Masters to continuously try to understand their role (and Scrum in general) from the perspective of Empiricism, and how the various aspects of Scrum relate in some way to Transparency, Inspection and Adaptation.

For instance: what would a Daily Scrum be like without Adaptation? What does a Product Owner adapt? What conversations are not taking place; and does that indicate a lack of Transparency, or a lack of Inspection?

You might find at some point that your colleagues realize what you are doing, but not why. For instance they might see that you always encourage conversations to take place with certain people present, but they might not realize this is you attempting to increase Transparency, in order to allow better Inspection and therefore more relevant Adaptation.

I agree that observation is a good starting point, then as you start to act, be careful to ensure at least the Scrum Team and those in leadership positions have a good understanding of your motives. For example, if you find that the Scrum Team are not always having Sprint Retrospectives, it can be a lot more effective to approach that from the perspective of missed opportunities to make problems Transparent, to Inspect the situation, and Adapt towards doing things better; rather than simply stating that a Sprint Retrospective must take place, which might lead to resentment, or people viewing you as the "Scrum Police".

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.