Skip to main content

Is there any reason to take "lower level" certificates?

Last post 11:56 am March 9, 2021 by Ryan Brook
10 replies
08:53 am March 4, 2021

Hi

If you for instance take PSM II and pass, is there any reason to take PSM I after that? Or does PSM II "contain" PSM I + more stuff?

07:39 am March 5, 2021

PSM I (80 questions) covers the fundamentals of scrum.  PSM II (30 questions) requires you to not only understand the fundamentals, but also the different SM stances, as well as how to help the Developers, PO & organisation, etc. 

07:41 am March 5, 2021

I would say that if you have passed PSM II then there really isn't a need to pass PSM I.  Time and money would be better spent on gaining PSM III. 

09:58 am March 5, 2021

Ok, thanks. Yea, I passed PSM II with 100%. Just wanted me sure I didn't miss anything. My plan is to do lvl 2 on those that has these (like PSPO etc). Then if I find time perhaps try lvl 3. I think the time constraints could be an issue for me due medical issues. But I guess I will at least have a try one day :)

11:47 am March 5, 2021

Congratulations on passing PSM II. 

I believe that the only time you would need to take the PSM I exam is if you wanted to become a PST, as that process has it down as a requirement including a specific percentage. 

07:15 am March 6, 2021

Hello Daniel,

Congratulations on passing PSM II with 100%.

Can you us know if you attended the two day training from Scrum.org for the exam or was it just self study. I am planning to take the exam and would like to hear your inputs.

Thanks,

Arun.

07:57 pm March 7, 2021

Hi Arun

No I did not attend any class. I have been a long time advocate of agile principles. My mindset was probably already compatible and it was a matter of nailing a few semantics, the preferred size of the team etc.

So I read some books because I wanted to learn more and then I just got the idea to try the certification. 

09:12 pm March 7, 2021

"I think the time constraints could be an issue for me due medical issues"

You can ask Scrum.org for some adaptation of the timebox, providing medical justifications.

09:31 pm March 7, 2021

I was advised of that actually and have contacted them. I have an appointment with my doctor next week and will ask him to provide some documentation. I probably won't dive into PSM III yet for a while, but good to know the option exists.

02:28 pm March 8, 2021

Thanks Daniel for the response.

11:56 am March 9, 2021

I would consider the value you will receive if you 'went back' to sit the PSM I. Assessments are there to validate knowledge. If you would like to validate your PSM I knowledge then great - go for it! If you feel that passing the PSM II validates it enough for you, then consider what it would offer you.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.