Skip to main content

Nexus Sprint Goal

Last post 07:15 am March 9, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
11 replies
01:18 pm March 7, 2021

Who defines Nexus Sprint Goal?

I understand the following from The Nexus Guide..

• It is the sum of all the work and Sprint Goals of the Scrum Teams within the Nexus.
  • The Product Owner discusses the Nexus Sprint Goal during Nexus Sprint Planning.

So does this mean, a PO defines it? But isn't PO responsible for Product Goal only?

Or is it defined by NIT?

Or the representatives from the Scrum teams who come together at the start of Nexus Sprint Planning to create Nexus Sprint Backlog?

04:21 pm March 7, 2021

Nexus Sprint Planning

The purpose of Nexus Sprint Planning is to coordinate the activities of all Scrum Teams within a Nexus for a single Sprint. Appropriate representatives from each Scrum Team and the Product Owner meet to plan the Sprint.

The result of Nexus Sprint Planning is:

● a Nexus Sprint Goal that aligns with the Product Goal and describes the purpose that will be achieved by the Nexus during the Sprint

● a Sprint Goal for each Scrum Team that aligns with the Nexus Sprint Goal

● a single Nexus Sprint Backlog that represents the work of the Nexus toward the Nexus Sprint Goal and makes cross-team dependencies transparent

● A Sprint Backlog for each Scrum Team, which makes transparent the work they will do in support of the Nexus Sprint Goal

The NIT creates the Nexus SG and ensures that it is aligned with the PG. 

06:19 pm March 7, 2021

Who defines Nexus Sprint Goal?

Who will do the work and commit to achieving it?

10:25 pm March 7, 2021

Scott Anthony Keatinge Thank you very much for the clarification.

10:31 pm March 7, 2021

Ian Mitchell,  Thanks for asking the question, but i am novice in this subject. I would recommend you to please open a NEW thread if you have a question or any doubt to clarify. We have a lots of qualified guru's on this forum to respond back. 

04:33 am March 8, 2021

Ian Mitchell,  Thanks for asking the question, but i am novice in this subject. I would recommend you to please open a NEW thread if you have a question or any doubt to clarify. We have a lots of qualified guru's on this forum to respond back. 

LOL

@Ajay Sood, you should have looked at Ian's profile before making that comment, as he is one of this sites gurus, and was trying to prompt you to come up with your own answer, which is what scrum masters do when confronted by scrum team situations.  :-)

06:44 am March 8, 2021

Bear in mind that a Nexus Sprint Goal is a commitment, and commitments are best made by the people who actually do the work.

07:19 am March 8, 2021

Scott Anthony Keatinge Unfortunately, I am a techie, for me everything is 0 or 1. In my world, there is nothing like my own answer, it's either a universally right answer or wrong answer. Moreover, i believe if i need to come up with my own answer for everything then i don't need a framework to follow or validate my skills against certificates that cost me $$$.

For me framework provides best practices, it's upto the client to stick to it or not but it has to provide a clear cut path to follow for best results.

I understand Nexus is still quite new (as compare to Scrum) but i was hoping that these basic questions would have been asked by current Nexus follows in 5+ years of it's existence, which is not the case.

But i appreciate your time and efforts you put to explain not only the ans but why that is the right ans.

07:39 am March 8, 2021

Bear in mind that a Nexus Sprint Goal is a commitment, and commitments are best made by the people who actually do the work.

Ian Mitchell Thanks for your ans. What i understand from The Nexus Guide is 'NIT does the coaching, consulting and highlighting awareness of dependencies and cross-team issues'. Also, 'Scrum teams addresses integration issues'. That gives me a sense that only Scrum team/s does the actual work, which means Scrum teams are responsible for setting the Nexus Sprint Goal.

That actually proves the below ans from Scott Anthony Keatinge wrong.

The NIT creates the Nexus SG and ensures that it is aligned with the PG. 

09:12 am March 8, 2021

@Ajay Sood, the NIT is made up of the PO, one of the SMs, and appropriate members of each scrum team depending upon the event, so how can my answer be incorrect? 

Please review the Nexus Sprint Planning from the Nexus Guide again, in order to aid your understanding. 

Please remember that the scrum framework does not tell you how to do things, it simply tells you what should be done in order to implement scrum.  Even the scrum guide itself states that it is purposely incomplete. 

I would say that the majority of people on this site are techies. 

According to your profile, you have already passed PSM1 and PSPO1, so you should know exactly what I meant by my comment on why Ian asked you a question. 

08:50 pm March 8, 2021

Scott Anthony Keatinge Actually i personally agree with your answer and the explanation behind it, but Ian Mitchell responses made it look wrong.

I understand NIT = PO + SM of NIT + Other members that may include some external resources, but then The Nexus Guide states 'NIT does the coaching, consulting and highlighting awareness of dependencies and cross-team issues'.  and 'Scrum teams addresses integration issues'. Which means actual work is carried out by Scrum Teams in Nexus.

Ian Mitchell responses were 

Who will do the work and commit to achieving it?

People who actually do the work = Scrum Teams

Your Response = NIT

Hope this may summarise, how Ian Mitchell responses made your response look wrong.

07:15 am March 9, 2021

Think of it this way:  Nexus is still scrum. 

Scrum = scrum team creates sprint goal (aligned with product goal)

Nexus = NIT creates Nexus sprint goal (aligned with product goal) & each scrum team creates their own sprint goal (aligned with Nexus sprint goal)

Yes, the scrum teams do the work and the NIT manages the dependencies, etc.; however, as the NIT is made up of scrum team members, the NIT creates the NSB. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.