Skip to main content

Product Owner participation in daily scrum meeting / size of scrum team & developpers team

Last post 02:47 pm March 19, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
3 replies
10:38 am March 18, 2021

Hello, 

I am preparing my PSPO and i am confsed about the below themes:

1)I am  a bite confused about the product owner particaipation at the daily scrum meeting. I know his presence is not mandatory in that meeting but in some document I read that he must be present when they need to represent the stakeholder’s point of view. Knowing that the daily scrum is manage by developpers and that any other person can participate a t daily scrum but is not allowed to interfere is it the right place for the PO to share stakeholders point of view?

2)How many people scrum    recommand for a scrum team and developpers team? In some document I read :

- 10people max for scrum team

and in other documents :

-5 to 9 people for the developpers + 1PO +1  SM =7 to11 for the scrum team

Thanks for your help

04:08 pm March 18, 2021

You should be reading the official Scrum Guide to prep: https://scrumguides.org/scrum-guide.html

11:27 am March 19, 2021

thanks

02:47 pm March 19, 2021

For the PSPO exam, the Daily Scrum is an event where Developers can plan their daily activities and adjust for information gained since the last time they met.  Past revisions of the Scrum guide stated that no one but Developers could participate and the Scrum Master should help facilitate that stance.  Current revisions says that if the Product Owner or Scrum Master are actively participating in the work on Sprint Backlog Items, they can participate as Developers. 

As for the size of the Scrum Team, this is from the current Scrum Guide. (Emphasis added by me for the rest of my comments.)

The Scrum Team is small enough to remain nimble and large enough to complete significant work within a Sprint, typically 10 or fewer people. In general, we have found that smaller teams communicate better and are more productive. If Scrum Teams become too large, they should consider reorganizing into multiple cohesive Scrum Teams, each focused on the same product. Therefore, they should share the same Product Goal, Product Backlog, and Product Owner.

There is no definitive answer to the question "How many people should be on a Scrum Team".  The only definitive answer is what I bolded. Your organization can experiment and make that decision and it might be different for each team based upon the work that is being done.  But there are a lot of studies that can be found on effective team sizes that will recommend diminishing returns when a team is larger than 10 people. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.