Skip to main content

The answer for a question in a PAL-I open assessment seems to be wrong. What do you think?

Last post 10:35 pm March 29, 2021 by Garrie Irons
6 replies
04:45 pm March 28, 2021

Hello, 

what do you guys think about this question and the answer? In my opinion, consistent achievement of Sprint Goals is a good indication that a Scrum Team is performing well only when those Sprint Goals help us to increase the business value. If our Sprint Goals are not good taking into consideration the needs of customers/stakeholders then we cannot consider achieving those Sprint Goals as a good indication of our performance.

https://files.fm/f/dbr7pxrck

04:51 pm March 28, 2021

The Scrum Guide says: "The whole Scrum Team then collaborates to define a Sprint Goal that communicates why the Sprint is valuable to stakeholders."

05:41 pm March 28, 2021

The problem is that often the reality and the scrum guide are two different things. It's not the PSM I assessment, it's the PAL-E one in which leaders should be sensitive on value rather not only on achiving sprint goals. 

This question should be more precise. 

10:44 am March 29, 2021

Damian, I can agree with you. But the thing which I always have in my mind is that what my trainer said: don't look for second meaning in the exam questions. 

They should be treated as they are. It helps a lot :)

07:25 pm March 29, 2021

Thanks Marcin for the answer.

Generally I agree, but sometimes you can see questions which were written in order to notice this second meaning. I think there is no one general rule and I would be okay with it but since a one attempt costs $200 it should be as precise as possible. 

07:36 pm March 29, 2021

Well, it kind of is precise.

What we might do is to weigh in things that is not in the question or assume things.

If the question would have said "consistent achievement of Sprint Goals is a good indication that a Scrum Team is performing well, even if the Sprint Goal is not helping us increase the business value" I would have understood the scepticism :)

But since it doesn't, I would assume that the Sprint Goal refered to in the question is one that does adds value to the Sprint since that is a desired aspect of the Sprint Goal.

10:35 pm March 29, 2021

Achieving the Scrum Goal is an objective of the Development Team.

Defining the Scrum Goal is a task for the Scrum Team.

The distinction there matters.

My observation though: a focus on measuring team performance is contrary to the leadership behaviours this certification is seeking to recognise/encourage. Generally if the question relates to measuring performance - look for the answer that says "do not do this."

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.