Skip to main content

Whiteboard

Last post 05:15 am April 13, 2021 by Simon Mayer
4 replies
09:07 am April 9, 2021

Dear all,

I stumble across one topic which I assume is your mind as well: now, in remote working mode, we need to collaborate with teams in different, remote way and we started to use whiteboard for different kind of sessions and discussions.

My questions to you guys, which tools do you use in Europe (as GDPR is adding some complexity to the choice and we are not allowed to use Miro)?

10:15 pm April 9, 2021

Why not use Excel and video calls? All the other tools are going to add to the complexity of teamwork. Unfortunately, remote working is not great for collaboration and there is a lot of evidence pointing to that.

04:12 am April 10, 2021

Very few people would claim that enforced remote working is any way preferable to being able to collocate, or at least being in a situation where we work remotely by choice.

But I work for a company in Europe and we use Miro to fairly good effect. In some ways it is more inclusive than a physical whiteboard, where only a certain number of people would be able to reach the board at the same time.

What is the reason that you are not allowed to use Miro? Is this restriction an impediment to the teams' success? If so, making that problem transparent might be the first step towards resolving it.

05:23 pm April 11, 2021

@Simon, our Security officer says that it's not GDPR compliant (the thing is that Miro's servers located in US) and we should not use this tool for business relevant discussions. 

Plus free of charge version suppose to be used by private users and in one more case (I forgot which), hence not for commercial use

05:15 am April 13, 2021

If the free tool is not a viable option for your organization, consider whether the value you have already identified in such a tool justifies investing in a licence.

Is it possible that the security officer doesn't have all of the information when making the decision, or that they haven't communicated all of the possibilities?

I wonder if your organization might consider the tool not GDPR compliant because of other policies it already has in place, or because of assumptions about how the tool might be used. In such a case, those policies can be challenged, and new agreements could be reached.

Miro is being used around the world right now, so I doubt this problem is unique to your organization. It also has competitors, and perhaps one of those would be a better fit for your teams.

Why not explain the problem to the security officer, and involve them in finding the right tool, and the right ways to use it? Perhaps this leverages the skills of a security officer, and enables a better decision to be made.

Why not also collaborate with the tool providers? For instance, you could contact Miro (or their community) to ask how other customers overcame this problem.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.