Skip to main content

I want to be a Scrum Master but.....

Last post 07:19 pm May 6, 2021 by Stephen Sykes
No replies yet
07:19 pm May 6, 2021

Hi everyone.

It's nearly 2 years since I wrote this blog post:

https://www.scrum.org/forum/scrum-forum/30548/changed-my-life-become-sc…

I went from asking about how to get a job as a Scrum Master to interviewing Scrum Masters for positions in my company.

I still get about 1 or 2 LinkedIn requests a month from people who read the blog post also asking for advice, but I thought I'd share some insights into what I've found.

1. Your passion and your approach to things are 95% of you getting the job. The amount of applications and covering letters I have seen that don't mention why you want to be a Scrum Master is frankly staggering. Tell me why Scrum is important to you and tell me why you want to work with us. Sending copy paste cvs is a waste of your time and mine.

2. This came to me a while ago whilst giving advice to someone in America who was looking for a position and I suggested why not approach job searching in an agile way.  Create a product backlog about things you can do to meet your goal, decide your sprint length,  inspect and adapt. Use this forum to get feedback.

3. Network. I got my job because my boss took a chance and saw my blog posts here. Why not do the same thing. Use the forums as an opportunity to get some real good advice. Writing about your experiences may help other people too. If you find enough like minded people why not create a group to share ideas and job opportunities. 

4.  Take a step back. This might not work for everyone but if you don't have enough experience to start as a SM why not ask for an internship. I was 34 when I did mine but I learnt more in that internship in 4 weeks on the job than all the reading I did on the subject. It also led me to get a full time position.

Anyway I hope some of you find this helpful.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.