Skip to main content

What next?

Last post 03:17 pm May 26, 2021 by Scott Anthony Keatinge
4 replies
05:55 pm May 25, 2021

I now have 2 years of project experience. During this time I was SM for 6 months and now PO of two teams for 18 months. 

I have my PSPO, PSM, PO/PM (SAFe) and SAFe Agilist 4.6. I was just moved to the Product Division after being in Dev. 

Not sure where to go? More Client-Focused? Go learn a coding language and become a dev? BA? 

The company I work for is massive and lots of directions but not sure I really know what I want. 

Thoughts? Thanks!

06:28 pm May 25, 2021

What are you most passionate about? Do you enjoy client focused roles? Do you want to switch "sides" and become a dev? It's all about what YOU enjoy the doing the most. Based on that answer, we can provide you with more meaningful recommendations.

07:18 pm May 25, 2021

Why not go to where the organizational impediments are? Presumably you have witnessed a number of systemic barriers and constraints which inhibit the application of Scrum.

01:45 pm May 26, 2021

I like it all tbh. Development is fascinating and challenging but do I go back to school for that? Do I get a certification? Go to boot camp? Also what path do I take? Cloud, front-end, db, .NET, Java, etc. 

I like client-facing roles but will that be a headache? More travel, more on-call responsibilities? 

The impediment-solving aspect is interesting and I feel I could be an asset but how do I become a subject-matter expert? My hesitancy is I only have a couple years of experience and don't have a technical background. Do I just take a couple more years to up my project experience and see where life takes me? 

This is probably a conversation for a "mentor" but I figured I'd throw the question in the Scrum.org universe and see what comes back. 

03:17 pm May 26, 2021

You have been a PO for 18 months, which means that you have been in a client facing roll for at least 18 months.  I say at least, because an SM can also interact with stakeholders. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.