Skip to main content

How to prove you are a good Scrum Master? How to measure it?

Last post 10:18 am June 4, 2021 by Sven Lankreijer
7 replies
11:12 am May 28, 2021

Hi all, 

I would very much like to ask a question that is often discussed - How to measure the value of a Scrum Master? I would be very happy for any advice that is not based on "measuring" soft-skills or on subjective impressions (such as collecting feedbacks on Scrum Master or finding out the level of satisfaction in the team). Thank you very much!

Eva

01:40 pm May 28, 2021

1 " You are accountable for establishing scrum as defined in the scrum guide by helping everyone understand Scrum theory and practice for the scrum team and the organization" 

You can measure this by having your team and the organization do scrum assessments and there combined scores tells you how well you are doing on this accountability.

2 "The scrum master is accountable for the scrum teams effectiveness by enabling the scrum team to improve its practices within the framework" 

i can imagine that you can Measure this by the increase of value delivered each sprint.  

These are just some ideas to start with. "try it inspect it, adapt it and be transparent about it" 

04:15 pm May 28, 2021

How to measure the value of a Scrum Master?

How would this differ from the value provided by the team?

05:53 pm May 28, 2021

The following books will give you some great insights as to what is expected of a scrum master: 

• Essential Scrum
  • Fixing Your Scrum
  • Mastering Professional Scrum
  • Scrum Mastery

01:26 pm May 31, 2021

Tnx for info, it really clears me some things 

05:30 am June 2, 2021

Hello!

Thank you very much for your advices.

Sven, do you have any tips for the Scrum Assessment you mentioned? 

What is still not clear to me is "value". What do you mean by this term? 

What I would also be interested in is if a business-oriented person, somebody who is focused explicitly on numbers and metrics, asks you, since we've got you up here, show us what value you've brought to us over the last year, what would you show them? How would you calculate that?

Thank you very much!

09:46 am June 4, 2021

Interesting question. 

For me the most important aspect of being a Scrum Master is that I am a servant-leader, I serve the team, coach them, remover blockers, inspire them and motivate them. I can't see how this could be quantified or measured. 

The second most important aspect is to ensure the team works within the Scrum Framework. This could be measured such as: 

Have all the Scrum events been observed in the sprint? 

Did any over-run their time-box? 

How many of the Sprint goals have been met? 

Assess story point variance (planed vs actual story points per Sprint) 

Assess Story cycle times (duration between In Progress and Done) 

However, I believe it is the first point that is the most important and almost impossible to measure. 

10:18 am June 4, 2021

Sven, do you have any tips for the Scrum Assessment you mentioned? 

You could use the open assessment on this site or use https://survey.scrumteamsurvey.org/survey 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.