Skip to main content

PSM1 with no experience - best intro methods?

Last post 03:46 pm June 6, 2021 by Chris Belknap
2 replies
12:03 pm June 6, 2021

Hi everyone

My company (management consultants) is putting a group of us through PSM1. They’re interested in expanding some PM skills in the team and so got some vouchers for the exams. It means that a group of us are going to be doing this without any background experience / knowledge of scrum. 

We’re going to be getting 5 hours of training and some virtual learning materials shortly, but I’m just curious about what you think the best intro methods that will help us learn about Scrum before we dive into the training. 

There seems to be a huge amount of training available, but we’re interested in what you think the best ones and the best order for those of us who don’t have any background are…

thanks!

01:46 pm June 6, 2021

Honestly, I would have your company spend the money if they want you to be successful and start with Applying Professional Scrum training or Professional Scrum Master training to learn the concepts, application, theory and exercises on how to use Scrum rather than focusing on just the test.

03:46 pm June 6, 2021

I agree with Eric, starting with APS or PSM training would be a great start, and something I wish I did many years ago when I got started as a Scrum Master. One benefit is that your entire team will hear a consistent message and get a consistent training experience, regardless of the trainer. There are also a lot of hands-on activities to practice by working through short case studies (no death by Powerpoint). And those are just a few.

Whatever Scrum training you choose, inquire about the Scrum experience of the trainer. Were they ever a Scrum Master and/or Product Owner? For how many years? And when was the last time the trainer was in the trenches working with Scrum Teams?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.