Skip to main content

JIRA & SCRUM MASTER

Last post 03:43 pm June 16, 2021 by Daniel Wilhite
6 replies
08:02 pm June 15, 2021

Hi Everyone..

I wanted to know for what all things a Scrum Master uses JIRA other than managing and tracking work progress? What are the other responsibilities a Scrum Master has to fulfill with regards to JIRA?

10:15 pm June 15, 2021

Why do you think a Scrum Master ought to manage and track work in progress at all?

02:09 am June 16, 2021

Its not there in the scrum guide but most of the jobs posted for scrum master ask for JIRA skills... so was trying to figure out the same. Thanks for the response!

02:15 am June 16, 2021

I agree but most of the jobs for Scrum Master ask for JIRA Management so made me wonder how it works... thanks for the reply though!

06:19 am June 16, 2021

The Scrum Master is accountable for the Scrum Team’s effectiveness.

Jira could help the effectiveness of the scrum team in many ways so helping the developers and the product owner setting up jira and help them track metrics automatically  

Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items

More data can be put in a PBI in jira then on a physical scrum board that can be needed to get a clear and concise PBI

Jira also helps to have a virtual Product backlog and sprint backlog to be transparent to stakeholders and team members that work from home or different location as the scrum team.

03:43 pm June 16, 2021

In my opinion, the Scrum Master has nothing to do in Jira.  The Product Owner and Developers will do the work in Jira as it pertains to creating and managing the Product and Sprint Backlogs in order to radiate information on the work the team does.  

The Scrum Master might help with some of that work if the Scrum Team agrees.  As @Sven Lankreijer points out there is information that can be gleaned from Jira to help the team, but none of that work is the job of the Scrum Master.  Helping the Scrum Team know what information is there and how it can be used can be seen as part of the Scrum Master role. But I would argue that producing reports or tracking the information is not a Scrum Master's job. 

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.