Skip to main content

PSD - Should I study Extreme Programming?

Last post 06:06 pm June 29, 2021 by Ian Mitchell
4 replies
03:42 pm June 26, 2021

Of course, practices like TDD, Continous Delivery, Pair Programming are on exam. But should I memorize roles? XP Values?  What's is important about XP to study?

08:49 pm June 28, 2021

Why do you feel that the list of items you listed would be addressed on the PSD exam?  I'll admit that I have not taken that exam but none of the things you list have anything to do with Scrum or your knowledge of the framework.  They are all useful things to know when working somewhere that values the ability to be agile, but they are not specific to the Scrum framework.

If you haven't already, I suggest you look at the page here that explains the Professional Scrum Developer certification (https://www.scrum.org/professional-scrum-developer-certification).  From there follow the link to the suggested readings.  For all of the certifications I have received from scrum.org those resources provided me everything I needed to be successful. 

06:52 am June 29, 2021

I believe that those items are part of the PSD learning path, and I know that the open assessment has questions about some of them.

02:21 pm June 29, 2021

Complimentary development practices are an important part of PSD with focus on DevOps, quality, Agile engineering practices etc. I think you have listed the key elements of XP that could fall into this category.

Other tips... 

Having technical development experience is definitely an asset.

Areas to focus on:

• Quality and Testing practices
  • Development practices
  • Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery
  • Metrics of code quality
  • Emergent architectures

Clean Code book (by Uncle Bob) is an oldie but goodie.

06:06 pm June 29, 2021

Of course, practices like TDD, Continous Delivery, Pair Programming are on exam. But should I memorize roles? XP Values?  What's is important about XP to study?

Well, if it helps, I never "memorized" a darned thing about XP. I knew that it would be my understanding of Scrum rather than my memory of XP which would be tested.

So instead I queried everything I thought I knew about XP, asking: "what would this mean in Scrum? How would it help Developers to provide Done work, so empiricism can be established under volatile conditions?"

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.