Skip to main content

SAFe Scrum Master Certification

Last post 07:17 am October 27, 2021 by Simon Mayer
6 replies
08:41 am July 26, 2021

Hi everyone,

I would like to prepare for the SAFe Scrum Master certification and I wanted to ask if someone could recommend a suitable course to prepare for the syllabus and the exam.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards,

11:11 am July 26, 2021

Unlike the Scrum.org certification exams, you need to take a SAFe course in order to take the exam. You can search the available offerings.

I would offer one piece of cautionary advice, however: The role that SAFe calls "Scrum Master" isn't consistent with the set of accountabilities that is defined in the Scrum Guide or with what you would learn through a Scrum.org PSM course. The name may be the same and there may be some related skills, but the overall scope of the role on a team is very different.

12:04 pm July 26, 2021

I would like to prepare for the SAFe Scrum Master certification

Are you clear on why you want this certification, which is for a different framework, rather than gain a Scrum Master credential that is properly aligned to the Scrum Framework itself?

07:37 am July 27, 2021

Hi @Ian @Thomas, 

Many thanks for your messages. 

I have the PSM1 certification by scrum.org and i am aware that SAFe Scrum Master is a certification with a different scope from PSM but my company is requesting that i do this SAFe Scrum Master certification.

My concern is that I am not sure which may be the most suitable platform to take the course or which platform or Web offers the best options or best courses to prepare for this certification.

Do you know the best option or some platform that you could recommend for that?

Many thanks in advance.

11:18 am October 25, 2021

I have just Cleared PSM1

Is there any other certification that i can go for (except PSM2/PSM3)

12:35 pm October 26, 2021

Hi Rubén, The training calendar is available at SAFe website -> https://scaledagile.com/calendar/ . Please select a class based on your preference.  Once the class is over , your instructor will send you a link to take the exam. You have 30 days from then to take the exam.

As Thomas described, there is no "self-study" option to get certified in SAFe; you need to attend one of the training listed in the above URL. There could be supplementary materials / books, that may help you pass and I would recommend you ask the instructor.

07:17 am October 27, 2021

Is there any other certification that i can go for (except PSM2/PSM3)

Yes, and it depends where you would like to strengthen yourself.

Scrum.org provides several options, although you may want to look into other areas to study that compliment your skill set and experience, or the needs of your team; such as facilitation, coaching, frameworks like OKRs, or even something less obvious, like sketchnoting.

Of Scrum.org's collection, I find learning how to involve UX in Scrum (PSU) to be the most interesting, and combining Scrum with Kanban (PSK) to be the most powerful in a wide variety of contexts. There can also be value in studying PSPO, PSD and PAL, in order to better understand the role and challlenges of Product Owners, Developers, and leaders, so that you can provide support to them.

I haven't mentioned the potential benefits of working towards the SPS or EBM certificates, because I haven't yet studied for them.

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.