Skip to main content

Further learning material

Last post 11:50 pm August 18, 2021 by Chris Belknap
5 replies
04:29 pm August 18, 2021

Hi,

i just finished both the PSPO and PSM 1-exams but i only managed to pass with 92,5 and 90% respectively.

I was a little bit shocked to get so many ambigious questions and because you don't get a lot of information about what you did wrong, it is hard to know what you need to improve.

I read the Scrum Guide multiple times, read through a lot of the learning path (not everything because a lot of the longer videos (in my humble opinion) where not very insighful), read the Nexus Guide, the EBM guide, used open assessment, Mikhail Lapshin quizzes, did 2 courses on Udemy etc.

So i would really appreciate a few hints where i can read up on the more life experiences of Scrum practicioners in line with the official Scrum Guide.

I've ordered the "Scrum a pocket guide 3rd edition" to further cement my foundation, but a little help how to proceed from here, would be nice.

Thank you!

04:36 pm August 18, 2021

There are many posts in this forum from people who passed that include how they passed. 

I myself have passed all the exams I have taken simply by going through the learning paths, suggested reading, additional blogs and forum posts from this site and others, as well as read a couple of books. 

04:54 pm August 18, 2021

I know. If you read my description you will see that i did most of the things other people suggested, but even that did not prepare me for some of the questions.

I also know that there are a few suggestions for other learning materials, BUT most of these threads are older, links are down and some of the books may no longer be in line with the newest Scrum Guide.

These are the two reaons i'm asking "again" in a more recent (today in 2021) post.

06:19 pm August 18, 2021

I passed those tests with similar scores.  What I have found is that experience has helped me understand more than any reading materials might. It has helped me better understand those questions I got correct and to appreciate the ones I didn't. You have joined the ranks of thousands of people that have obtained the certifications.  The scores, much like story points to velocity, really don't mean that much at this point.  It is now time to start doing, inspect what is done, learn from it, adapt and move forward.  In other words stop worrying about the few questions you missed and start letting empiricism move your life as a Scrum professional forward. 

06:26 pm August 18, 2021

Thank you for your kind words. :)

I'm one of those insufferable people who, instead of being happy about what they have accomplished, prefer to be bummed out about the score or things they missed ;)

As you said, I will inspect what i have missed, adapt and move forward.

11:50 pm August 18, 2021

Sascha - When I first took the PSM I several years ago I scored a 91. I ended up reading more books and blogs, getting more experience, and taking courses. The PSM I course was a game changer for me, and I wish that I had taken it sooner. Fast forward a few years, and I've passed all 12 exams with better scores. 

FYI - Gunther's book is a good start. I like Mikhail's quiz and used to recommend it, but it is not updated for the 2020 Scrum Guide.

All the best!

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.