Skip to main content

A Career in Scrum for a Recruiter?

Last post 05:57 am September 3, 2021 by Phan Gia Huy
No replies yet
05:57 am September 3, 2021

Hi guys,

I'm a recruiter, or more poetically, a Talent Acquisition Business Partner (TABP) for a giant French mobile game publisher - if you've played Asphalt before. I take care of positions like 2D / 3D Artists, and UI / UX, or Graphic Designers. I can do a little 3D modeling with MagicaVoxel and animation with Mixamo, too.

I passed with PSM I assessment last week at 88,8% after 3 weeks of preparation. I couldn't be prouder of myself. The assessment was hard, and I did manage to learn a lot while studying for it. In order to make good use of the knowledge learned, I've applied a number of things, for example:

1. The Events

- The 15-minute timeboxed daily standups: Every day my fellow recruiters and I will meet at 9:15 AM in front of a physical Task Board to inform each other what we did yesterday, what we will do today, and if there's anything in our way. Each day, a recruit has to break down what he / she will do into 5 large tasks, from which 10 smaller ones are created. The Task Board has these columns:

+ Day (Monday, etc.)

+ Task

+ To do

+ Doing

+ Done

If any recruiter has a problem, my line manager (the TA Manager) will act as a Scrum Master and set up a meeting after the standup to solve the recruiter's problem.

I've used Trello (a Kanban Task Board) to update the progress of my team, and make a mini CRM out of it, too.

- The 30-minute timeboxed (hiring) planning meetings: After receiving a hiring request from the hiring manager / HR, a recruiter is to spend no longer than 30 minutes with their stakeholders finding out their actual needs, and getting beyond-the-request information. For junior positions, this meeting is timeboxed to 15 minutes, mid-seniors 20 minutes, seniors / managers 30 minutes.

- The 1-hour timeboxed weekly hiring reviews: Every week, on Wednesday morning at 10:00 AM, the clients (in this case the hiring managers), or their representatives (HRBP) will meet with the TA team to see the week's hiring progress. Each recruiter will act as a Product Owner and present their achievement this time (number of hires, who is testing, who is potential to hire, etc.).

- The 30-hour timeboxed weekly hiring retros: Every week, on Friday afternoon at 05:00 PM, the entire team meets to discuss what has been done well during the week and what has not. The team chooses at least 1 thing to improve the next week.

2. The Theories

- Transparency: We update the hiring manager every time we send out a test.

- Inspection & Adaptation:

+ Not all positions have an attractive title. If I put a vacancy online and in days there's no application, I'd suggest: Changing the name - Review the requirements - Enhancing the salary and benefits.

+ Not all tests are well timeboxed. For a new position, a hiring manager usually attempts to put too much into a test, which makes a candidate unable to finish their test on time. If I notice this, I'd suggest: Changing the timebox.

3. The Values

And I'll put up a board where it is most visible to my team, written with the 5 values of Scrum: Commitment, Courage, Focus, Openness, Respect - I call it CCFOR (or Six-Four). 

This is what I have been doing thanks to the knowledge from Scrum, but I've been stuck here and I don't know where I'm heading next to benefit the productivity of my team. I've got a dream to become an Agile coach, too. Could you kindly guide me on what career path I can have with this?

By posting on our forums you are agreeing to our Terms of Use.

Please note that the first and last name from your Scrum.org member profile will be displayed next to any topic or comment you post on the forums. For privacy concerns, we cannot allow you to post email addresses. All user-submitted content on our Forums may be subject to deletion if it is found to be in violation of our Terms of Use. Scrum.org does not endorse user-submitted content or the content of links to any third-party websites.

Terms of Use

Scrum.org may, at its discretion, remove any post that it deems unsuitable for these forums. Unsuitable post content includes, but is not limited to, Scrum.org Professional-level assessment questions and answers, profanity, insults, racism or sexually explicit content. Using our forum as a platform for the marketing and solicitation of products or services is also prohibited. Forum members who post content deemed unsuitable by Scrum.org may have their access revoked at any time, without warning. Scrum.org may, but is not obliged to, monitor submissions.